Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Iron level is way low!

What ways works the best for you to increase the Iron in your system. Iron level is at .06 ppm, Ammonia is at .025 ppm, pH is at 7.8 ppm and Nitrates are over 200 ppm.

Does your Iron additive turn your water to a deep dark raspberry tea color?

Re: Iron level is way low!

I add chelated iron that I bough on ebay fairly cheap. I add about 2 teaspoons once a month.
    It does change the color of the water to a copper-ish red color.
    Put all excuses aside and remember this: YOU are capable - Zig Ziglar

Thanks for the reply, I started using the same stuff...but at 20 to 24 inches of water depth nothing is visible.

At what level is your Iron at? What level do you thinks is best?

I don't have a test kit for iron, however, I do have Cuban oregano. It shows iron deficiency in a heartbeat.

I use maxi-crop with iron, also an iron supplement from the local hydroponics store. I do add some to the system's water....One way to get the most bang for your buck out of iron, is to foliar spray it.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo
    What level do you thinks is best?
    2-3 ppm
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

"One way to get the most bang for your buck out of iron, is to foliar spray it.", I'm using 6% IRON EDDHA how much would you recommend per gallon for a foliar spray? How often can it be used?

How can you monitor your fish when the iron makes the water so dark red you can't even see them until they come up to feed? Once I get my iron level up to 2 - 3 ppm does it still benefits my plants to continue with the foliar spray? At that point would it work to spray them using just the water from your FT?

Thanks again for your help, I'm just now learning about adding iron to my system. I've been using mostly rain water for my AP, it has ZERO iron. My plants are loving the added iron...not sure about my fish since I can't really see them anymore.

I'm using 6% IRON EDDHA
    How can you monitor your fish when the iron makes the water so dark red you can't even see them until they come up to feed?
    That's a common complaint. A brand named Millers, some have reported contains a red dye.

The 1st time I poured in a good shot of maxicrop with iron, it also darkened the water, to where I couldn't see the fish. It did clear up after a few days.

We are not supposed to give links to other aquaponic sites....that being said...search for .....
    Dr Nate Storey....for 'understanding iron in aquaponics'.
    He is very knowledgeable in Aquaponics.

Thanks davidstcldfl , I had viewed his blog before and had bought the best that he said to buy. I even contacted the manufacture after my water turned RED, they said that there are no red dyes that is just the color of the iron.

I have order some Maxicrop with Iron and will try that.

I got the Maxicrop with Iron from Ohrstrom's this evening...but they added a sticker to the front of the bottle that states, "Not Intended for use in Food crop sites. "Not 100% sure what that means but it sounds like it's not to be used in AP or for a foliar spray on my food crops. Please, let me know your thoughts on the matter.

Members

The red color in EDDHA chelated iron is from the phenolate bond. It's not an added dye. It doesn't bother the fish at all. That said, if you don't like the red color that the EDDHA causes, use DTPA chelated iron instead. I've used both types. Both were Allied Aqua brand and worked well.