Thread: Runts

Runts

As I am raising my fish to eat, size matters. If I have runts is it possible to separate them so they don't have to fight so hard to eat, thus grow larger? I know that runts can be genetic or they can be a survival of the fittest thing. Will separating the little guys from my big guys help them become big guys? They are awfully hard to catch though, darting in and out of their bigger brothers. Tilapia by the way is my breed of choice. Is there an age that the separation won't make any difference, if it will make a difference in the first place? Just thinking.
    At what point did our government cease to be of the people, by the people, and for the people?

Members

Re: Runts

I've bred numerous different types of fish, and it's my experience that dwarves stay small. This is why the best breeders are mercilous in their culling. I know a lot of Tilapia breeders keep their fish separated by size (commercial AP systems seem to have 3 or 4 FTs for different sized fish), and maybe some fish stay in smaller ponds indefinitely. There it doesn't really matter b/c they're still adding nutrients for the crops. In a backyard system that has limited space for FTs, it might be best practice to cull smaller fish, allowing more food to go to those fish that are growing quicker. If you know your population won't be supported once all fish reach adulthood, you may want to cull the runts now.

Food for thought...
    Jason M.

Very good answer jvision. I don't know if it works but I read an article somewhere a few years ago where the author claimed success. He said he would catch the runts and freeze dry them then grind them up, add a few other ingredients (don't remember what he added) then pelletized the results and fed it to the remaining Tilapia.

I can just imagine the conversations between the survivors while eating the concoction he created.

"HUmmmmm, hey Bubba have you notice there is something weird about the taste of our new food.

That last bite I just took tasted a lot like "BOB".

You remember Bob, he was small and always getting in the way when we were eating.

I say that because I nipped Bob's tail once before he mysteriously came up missing and I could swear what I just ate tasted just like Bob.

Some reseach on that point of the subject could lend itself to a solution for you.
    JCO
    Irish eyes are always smiling but
    • "In the eyes of the world, you are only as good as your last success"
    so never forget
    • "MAN IS ONLY LIMITED BY HIS IMAGINATION"

I've eaten bluegill about the size of some of my smaller guys. A lot of work for a little bit of meat, but waste not, want not.
    At what point did our government cease to be of the people, by the people, and for the people?