I will admit that if it works out perfectly the first time you put saw to wood or key stroke to web code that is most certainly impressive. When I use only my minds eye I recognize problem areas of a design and when I arrive at them I work them out individually. The biggest problems is the sometimes unnecessary additional trips to the hardware store and the fact that it drives my wife crazy because she has no idea what the end state is, and so can not figure out how to contribute to the end state with out step by step directions. So after our last deck project that was initially constructed in my head took a few months longer than anticipated (it was 200 sf covered stepping down to 250 sf uncovered cascading down to a 300 sf wrap around paver patio supported by a 3 ft retainer wall) because I had to do it all myself, I decided it would be best to use a little pencil and paper and the occasional digits. It has worked out so far and I couldn't fathom a project like this next deck I'm building without something drawn somewhere.

But admittedly I am a mortal half way around the world from my family with nothing else to do with my time.