Members

Best Water Temp for Tilapia???

I will be receiving my Tilapia (Mozembic & White Nile) today to introduce into my new system and I am curious of what temps folks have been keeping their water at. White Brook Tilapia Farms where I got the fish from is saying that the fish will do fine with water in the mid sixties range, they just won't grow as fast which is ok with me. I also want to limit having to keep a heater running any more than needed as well as keep the water from causing lettuce to bolt quickly.
    My plan with the new fish is to start the water temp at 78 degrees and slowly drop it down to around 70-72 in time. I have heard that the young Tilapia will do best with the warmer water and become more adaptable as they age. Any thoughts?
    Visits to my cousins farm made me want to become a farmer. Life wanted me to be more mainstream but now is the time I come full circle and attempt my childhood dream.

Re: Best Water Temp for Tilapia???

I have Blue Tilapia. I try to keep my water around 75. They will survive down into the mid 50s but they are very sedentary and don't eat much. They begin to get more active in the 60s and begin to eat a little better. I want mine to eat well so that I will eat well as they come to size. To breed them you will want to increase the temps even more.
    At what point did our government cease to be of the people, by the people, and for the people?

Welcome, glad that you have joined us. May your journey bring you the knowledge that you seek, put a smile up on your face, create hours of pleasure to stimulate your mind, an a healthier life style for your heart...from Apollo__Phoenix, Arizona.

My set up is out side, I have Pink Tilapia and Gold Fish. When my water temp get down to 64 deg. I run a 500 watt heater to stop it from going any lower. I reduce the amount of food by about 50%...fish still stay pretty active, but respond to food much slower.

If you want to view my set up from start to now, check out “Fire Pit … AP” then “Pipe Siphon by Apollo” and ending with "Got Vertigrow?".

Blue tilapia will survive down to 5o degrees but what he has are hybrids from White Brook. Hybrids don't do well in the cooler temps. To be on the safe side when they are young, keep your temp as close to 75 as possible. Once they get addapted and have some size on them, you could go as low as 70 and be safe.
    JCO
    Irish eyes are always smiling but
    • "In the eyes of the world, you are only as good as your last success"
    so never forget
    • "MAN IS ONLY LIMITED BY HIS IMAGINATION"

Members

Quote Originally Posted by JCO
    Blue tilapia will survive down to 5o degrees but what he has are hybrids from White Brook. Hybrids don't do well in the cooler temps. To be on the safe side when they are young, keep your temp as close to 75 as possible. Once they get addapted and have some size on them, you could go as low as 70 and be safe.
    Thats right what I was thinking JCO. Have the temp at 78 for now and will start to drop it down to 72 over a few weeks. The 800 watt heater is working well and the fish have adjusted nicely although I came close to losing four on the initial stocking but was able to save them by separating them into a small bowl and adding extra air and a pinch of salt. They sprang back in minutes and now I have a few more fish then expected since they shipped extras

thanks for the advise all
    Visits to my cousins farm made me want to become a farmer. Life wanted me to be more mainstream but now is the time I come full circle and attempt my childhood dream.

Any time you can get extra fish is awesome. I hope my luck is as flood as yours when my perch arrive.