Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

DIY AQUAPONICS UNIVERSITY

OK, for those of you who don't know or maybe have forgotten, years ago "badflash" and I talked about establishing an Aquaponics school here, stateside so an individual wouldn't have to go to the Virgin Islands to attend a school that could teach every aspect of Aquaponics.
    Well it is in the beginning phase of being built by me here in Orange Park, Florida.

I thought I had retired...I had my money invested in solid stocks and bonds and was all set since 1995....then came "OBAMA" Bin Laden, our so called President. Slowly my nest egg started to shrink until finally I read the hand writing on the wall. I decided if I was going to lose it all, it would be by doing something I have wanted to do for years, so I cashed out and thus the beginning of DIY Aquaponics University. http://diyaquaponicsuniversity.com

1) There will be an online presence with courses offered to study Aquaponics online and receive a Certificate of Completion.

2) This course will not be a rinky-dink undertaking. It is going to be a complete and very serious nuts and bolts curriculum and by the time you have completed it, you will know more about Aquaponics than 99.999% of the people on the planet.

Now for the kicker! So far I have invested almost $60,000.00 of my own money to get this show on the road.

1) I own (me and the mortgage company) 1 ¼ acres in Orange Park, Florida. About ½ of that was (use to be pasture for horses) unused and the property was surrounded by Cedar trees on three sides (62 altogether) some of which were twice as big around as my waist which is getting too large. The back fence row was huge trash trees such as Wild Cherry tress so dense you could not see through them. There was also a huge Magnolia tree in my front yard, “ALL GONE NOW!”

2) My wife and I then constructed over 600’ of barricade privacy fence complete with a 16’ double gate. Fencing not completed yet for the rest.

3) I also purchased the large utility shed you will see in the foreground in the photos below as a sales office.

4) I have purchased 12,000 sq. ft. of gutter connected greenhouse and everything necessary to construct it. It will be placed on the cleared portion of my property. It is going to be built as a commercial operation with production of veggies in large numbers.

5) I am going to put up 3,000 sq. ft. this fall and have it ready to plant for spring of 2015 raising tomatoes, bell peppers, cucumbers, and anything else we can come up with that will sell to the public. Once the spring plantings are in, I will start on the second 3,000 sq. ft.

6) I also have approximately 100 3 year old Japanese KOI that I will be marketing here on my property along with Ryukin Goldfish and anything else I can come up with.

7) I will start Aquaponic Seminars in March of 2015 to be held on location here in the greenhouse so you will have a hands on, birds eye view of how I put it together and what results I am achieving.

8) I will also be teaching Aquaponics Classes here on location on a continuing bases starting in March for those who live close enough to attend.

9) OH yes, I almost forgot, I also bought a Ford 3000 tractor, box blade, disk and bush hogg to work up the land for the greenhouse to sit on...Oh and a lawn trailer load of railroad cross ties to mark off the parking area out by the street.

THAT’S THE INTRO

Below is a couple pictures of what it looks like today. I had pictures of the before but I can’t find them on my computer so I guess they are hiding the same place my lost socks go. I will be posting photos of the progress and do my best to keep those interested up to date.

JCO
    Irish eyes are always smiling but
    • "In the eyes of the world, you are only as good as your last success"
    so never forget
    • "MAN IS ONLY LIMITED BY HIS IMAGINATION"

Re: DIY AQUAPONICS UNIVERSITY

Very cool JCO....
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

You are my hero.

urbanfarmer? And just where have you been?

And as for the others...as of now this thread shows 39 views, but no one seemed to have any thought or anything else...what gives?
    JCO
    so never forget

Quote Originally Posted by JCO
    watching proudly from afar

Well urbanfarmer, stop watching and get back into the swing of things and get involved. Your input is sorely needed.
    JCO
    so never forget

Good job! keep us posted. I wouldn't mind a reason to head to Florida. After all what better excuse then to attend a seminar.

Quote Originally Posted by urbanfarmer
    Dude !...... ...
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

I am 100% in agreement with the spirit of your efforts JCO. This IS the future.

Quote Originally Posted by davidstcldfl
    Quote Originally Posted by urbanfarmer
    Dude !...... ...
    Duuude.

Well, yesterday is in the basket and that's where I feel like I should be....OOOOooohhhhh my aching muscles (what few I still have at 71).

Anyway, here is the local progress report.

Cleaned up ready to go. Had to rent scoffling to get up high enough to work

and we begin

the roof ribs had to be assembled in the middle and bolted, ends drilled & sleeved

ground post fitted to sleeves, drilled and numbered corresponding to their specific end of a particular roof rib

and now the ground post have begun to be put into the ground, with great effort I might add.

and that's the end of the first days efforts. 16 ground post in the ground and tomorrow the other side good lord willin' and the creeks don't rise

Oh Yes, also please take not of the new well which will be just insite the left front corner of the greenhouse. Water readly available when needed and no worries about it freezing.
    JCO
    so never forget