Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Members

Re: Getting Ready for the basement

Whats the status jvision ? any progress to report? I will be starting my basement system soon as well and I am looking for all the input I can get to "try" and eliminate blunders. Let us know.

Members

I have everything except the pump; and, I need to finish wiring the timer for the room lights.... I'll see what I can get done this weekend and post some pics.
    Jason M.

Put a vapor barrier in the ceiling and paint the wall with oil based pain to prevent moisture intrusion. Very important!
    The best fertilizer is the farmer's shadow

Looks like a great start. I have read other posts of those doing basement AP. I know it has its own challenges. I prefer to stay on my balcony...but then again...I am in Hawaii...
    Please let us know your progress.
    Put all excuses aside and remember this: YOU are capable - Zig Ziglar

Members

OK, got a lot done the last couple weekends... but not quite enough!

This is the view from the doorway - 300 gallonish tub in the middle of the room and growbeds directly over top.

Moved the lights up on the cichlid tanks... also combined all fish (breeders and young adults) into 1 larger FT (I only lost about 15 gallons by combining into a larger FT).

Moved the turtle down to the tub - it's illegal to sell them here, and the market isn't that great for large ones, anyway. I'll be able to sell the tank she was in, easier this way.

And a better shot of the grow beds (around 180 gallons worth)

The GBs are drilled and plumbed; I just need to see if I have any 4" pipe for the bells, and a new union for the pump - it only came with the 1/2 of the joint that attaches to the pump. I should have enough pipe and fittings to get it all plumbed up once I get those parts.
    I'll be putting the vapour barrier up on the ceiling this week as well. I have a dehumidifier running in the room, but I'll eventually upgrade to an air-exchanger.

I'm not sure what I'll be putting in the tub for fish. I was thinking goldfish... I'm about 3 months late for getting all the free ones I want, as many people in this area give their pond fish away before winter sets in. I could put the young cichlids in there, but the tub won't be heated, and that isn't good for their long-term health.

I'll update again once I get the GBs going.
    Jason M.

Man that's looking good! Wishing I had that racking when I had my basement system.

You've got things looking great. So what's next?
    JCO
    Irish eyes are always smiling but
    • "In the eyes of the world, you are only as good as your last success"
    so never forget
    • "MAN IS ONLY LIMITED BY HIS IMAGINATION"

Members

Next step is to finish installing my hot tub!! My wife derailed the work being put into this system for a bit by getting an early Christmas present
    I should have the hot tub in by the weekend, then it's time to get the syphons working. I had enough material kicking around to make one (there's still a pile in the garage I need to go thru to find more), but I don't think I have enough water flowing thru the bell - the syphon wouldn't engage, and the flow was already more than when I will have it filled with media. I tried restricting the intake a bit, but that didn't work. I'll make a bigger gap at the bottom of the bell and see how it works. Once that one's going, I'll put in the media and start growing!!
    Jason M.

If the bell won't work or it gives you problems, you might look at Apollo's pipe siphon. Given the simplicity I believe I'll go to that next time I empty the grow bed.
    At what point did our government cease to be of the people, by the people, and for the people?

Members

I have to head to the hardware store today or tomorrow (Boxing Day Sales!!) and get a fitting or two, so I can add the REAL pump. For now, I'm just running a MaxiJet 1200 into a single bed. It's a bit much for flow - it runs a 10 minute cycle, I'd prefer 15 minutes.

I needed about 15 gallons more rock - I had about 40 gallons worth in my old system - so, I went to the landscape supply store to dig out some frozen rock (I'm using 3/4" lava). It's been unseasonally warm here, so it wasn't hard to get a couple 10 gallon pails full. Plus, the guy at the till couldn't be bothered to look up the code for the rock, so I got it for free!!

I moved a small tomato plant into this new system - I pulled it off the old turtleponics system and have no idea what it is. Here are a couple pics

Jason M.