Members

established bell siphon, new problem

Hi everyone,

I've had my first aquaponics system running for about 6 months now, and have had decent success in researching and solving problems as they arise - except this. I have an IBC tote, and a bell siphon through the center of the grow bed. It's always worked well (in fact, I wondered if it cycled too often, but I couldn't find any literature to say that it would be an issue), but now the bell pipe doesn't seem to be catching anymore; I simply have a constant trickling as the water overflows the standpipe. It seemed as though some pebbles and grit had gotten into the bottom of the bell siphon, and I assumed it was preventing the bell pipe from holding suction when the cycle began. I removed all the pebbles and grit, but I'm still having the same problem. The base of the bell pipe appears the same as it always has, it's not uneven, although it does seem to wobble slightly when placed around the standpipe. (Not sure if it's always slightly wobbled, I've never had to pay close attention, but nothing has changed as far as the physical appearance). I'm desperate to get this fixed now because my plants are drowning (I've already lost my zucchini plant )! Any tips would be very appreciated!! Thanks in advance!

Members

Re: established bell siphon, new problem

Have you read "Pipe siphon by Apollo" yet? I thought it was pretty clever.

Do you have a snorkel tube on your bell? I have one on mine and it got clogged with algae and stopped working. I cleaned it out good and it went right back to working good again.
    At what point did our government cease to be of the people, by the people, and for the people?

Thanks aquaally, for referring him to "Pipe Siphon by Apollo". In my opinion it's inexpensive, simple to make, and has been so reliable. Both of my growth beds have been running non-stop for just over 1 year, with no tinkering what so ever.

Welcome, cssl51202 from Florida, Glad that you have joined us. May your journey bring you the knowledge that you seek, put a smile up on your face, create hours of pleasure to stimulate your mind, an a healthier life style for your heart...from Apollo__Phoenix, Arizona.

I have a larger system and my GB's fill in about 9 minutes and drain in 4 minutes. About 4 X's an hour, I thinks is the rule and it should include turning over your total FT water 2 x's per hour.

If you want to view my set up from start to now, check out “Fire Pit … AP” then “Pipe Siphon by Apollo” and ending with "Got Vertigrow?".

Members

css,
    I also ran into bell siphon issues. I had a snorkel tube too, but it didn't seem to help. I bought a cheap glass vase that was similar in size to my bell. I put some 1/2 inch legs on the lip, installed it over the pipe stand and watched what was going on. For some reason, an air pocket formed in it that kept the water from completely rising and spilling into the stand pipe. I drilled a small, small hole on the top of my normal bell. It has worked ever since (4 mo or so) I also siliconed a sink faucet cone screen with very fine mesh loosely wadded in it over the wee hole...to keep it free of a leaf or bug.
    If this works for you, great. If it doesn't, a dab of silicon will seal it back up.
    "No man is poor if his word has value." - Dad

Hi cssl51202, Bell siphons can be a pain at times..

I've had the best success with Affnan style bell siphons. (Haven't tried Apollo's yet) Affnan has a web site with lots of great info and designs. They start the siphon with less water flow and have no snorkel tube, which means one less thing to go wrong. If you get a chance, check out his site.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

Welcome css. I recently had a root problem with my bell siphon. Basically a ton of tiny root balled up in the drain pipe slowing it down just enough not to shut off.

css - did you ever resolve your bell syphon issue?
    let us know what the fix was
    Put all excuses aside and remember this: YOU are capable - Zig Ziglar