Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Homebrewing

Homebrewing

Hi All,
    Just wonderin, how many folks here like to hombrew their own soda's, beer and wine (I won't ask about the hard stuff becuz the NSA, FBI, ATF, and a hundred other alphabet agencies are probably wonderin too!). I just recently got back into the homebrew stuff, and with the prices of a sixer nowadays, and with the poisons they put into our water like Chloramines, Flouride, Hydrofluosilicic Acid and Sodium Silicofluoride; I'd rather make my own brew from well water. So far, in the last couple of months I've done 2 extract w/grains. 1 all extract, a hard cider and a couple of all-grain brews. I've got two in Primary, one in Secondary, 2 aging/bottle conditioning and one 5 gallon batch almost all drunk up (only got a dozen or so left).
    I'm doing another all-grain next Monday. Anyone here from the West Coast? I've got a recipe from BYO for the O'Dark:30 clone if you like Cascadian Dark Ales That's what I'm brewing next Monday; it should be ready about the first of October.

I may not answer you back right away, as I never know when I'll get into town or remember to get on the forum, (jbpwmgitwmjy).

Jackalope
    I use the Linux Operating System ...... Free as in beer!
    You're never too old to learn something
    Aquaponics - food'n'fish at your doorstep

Helena, Montana - Home of the Northernmost Monument to the Confederacy

Re: Homebrewing

A couple of my buddies and I are saving up to get a nice beer making kit.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

Members

Come on people, speak up here! I believe homebrewing has been legal since Ronald Regan enacted it during his presidency. I started out extract brewing and bottling, but bottling took too much time so went to kegging it. Went on to all grain brewing and ended up building all of my equipment, with a tig welding buddy of mine. Don't know how much we brewed during a 4 year period, but I do remember we brewed more than the legal limit the first year! Back then it was 300 gal for the head of the household, and 250 gal for each person of age to drink. So that was 550 gal and we exceeded that amount according to our notes/recipes. Ahh those were the days, standing out in the driveway waiting for the sparge water to get to temperature and of course drinking one, or more, of our previous batches...I don't know why I said one, duooo. This was back in the early 90's and my age permitted me to drink, umm maybe excessively. Oh well back to reality. I gave all of my equipment away and haven't brewed since. I am still known to tip a quality handcrafted ale from time to time! :P Cheers, aquaaly

I tried it but could not brew as good as the craft beers that are on the market now. I gave it up which allows for more consumption time.
    At what point did our government cease to be of the people, by the people, and for the people?

Members

Rodger L: It's all about sanitation and cleanliness, with at least a scoop and a half of imagination and tenacity regarding tweaking the recipe. " I gave it up which allows for more consumption time." Now that's what I call responsible time management! aquaally

Members

I've been making wine for about 5 years now, bottled close to 1000 bottles. Only had two batches (around 58 bottles) turn out bad. I've done a couple beer kits. First one was a "full juice" kit and tasted amazing! This last one was a $15 grocery store kit. It tastes like the 'beer' they sell at the local NHL rink, but packs a real kick!
    Jason M.

You should PM badflash. He's actually setting up a mini-brewery in NY state. Going big time with it.
    JCO
    Irish eyes are always smiling but
    • "In the eyes of the world, you are only as good as your last success"
    so never forget
    • "MAN IS ONLY LIMITED BY HIS IMAGINATION"

Members

Had a few coworkers and friends over last night and we managed to polish off almost all of the swill! It actually tasted pretty good when mixed with Clamato Juice (yep, we Canucks have a popular juice that combines clam and tomato!)
    Jason M.

Now that's just nasty!
    JCO
    Irish eyes are always smiling but
    • "In the eyes of the world, you are only as good as your last success"
    so never forget
    • "MAN IS ONLY LIMITED BY HIS IMAGINATION"

Quote Originally Posted by jvision
    Had a few coworkers and friends over last night and we managed to polish off almost all of the swill! It actually tasted pretty good when mixed with Clamato Juice (yep, we Canucks have a popular juice that combines clam and tomato!)
    Sounds like a great base for a soup....
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan