Sending them to school.

At what point can I add new fish to my existing fish. They are about 3 inches now and my older fish are anywhere from 6-12 inches. I don't want the little guys to be abused to death or not be able to get their fair share of food. I feed the big guys pellets and the little guys flake. Wait until they are on pellet? Also if I get new babies from the larger ones can they be added to the nursery tank with the smaller guys or do I run into the same issues I would run into that I mentioned before? I already killed off a bunch by stupidity, don't want to repeat the failure.
    At what point did our government cease to be of the people, by the people, and for the people?

Re: Sending them to school.

If we are talking Tilapia, they are carnivorous and will eat each other until their body size gets too big to fit into their mouths and then they suddenly become vegetarians and will only pick fights from time to time to establish the pecking order. With that said, the little ones should be able to eat the same food as all the others in the same tank, preferably pellets.

As for adding the little ones in with the bigger ones, if it causes over crowding, then you will have a problem with the bigger ones constantly chasing the little ones especially if there is a breeding pair looking to spawn.

Mainly, it all boils down to space. To little, big problem....lots of room....no problem. You be the judge if what your are thinking of doing is going to overcrowd the tank and don't forget that it may not be overcrowded at first, but the little ones will grow and that will add to the overcrowding problem.

Hope that helps.
    JCO
    Irish eyes are always smiling but
    • "In the eyes of the world, you are only as good as your last success"
    so never forget
    • "MAN IS ONLY LIMITED BY HIS IMAGINATION"

Re: Sending them to school.

Quote Originally Posted by JCO
    If we are talking Tilapia, they are carnivorous and will eat each other until their body size gets too big to fit into their mouths and then they suddenly become vegetarians and will only pick fights from time to time to establish the pecking order. With that said, the little ones should be able to eat the same food as all the others in the same tank, preferably pellets.

As for adding the little ones in with the bigger ones, if it causes over crowding, then you will have a problem with the bigger ones constantly chasing the little ones especially if there is a breeding pair looking to spawn.

Mainly, it all boils down to space. To little, big problem....lots of room....no problem. You be the judge if what your are thinking of doing is going to overcrowd the tank and don't forget that it may not be overcrowded at first, but the little ones will grow and that will add to the overcrowding problem.

Hope that helps.
    i give this a thums up,,,,,,,,dont worry be happy it worked for me at the time
    Yust me thinking