Snails Good or Bad?

[attachment=1:284vvghr]IMG_1542.JPG[/attachment:284vvghr]I found snails in both my Floating Duckweed Raft and the Breeding Tank inside of my main fish tank. Not sure how they got there, unless they arrived with the duckweed...do I keep them?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Snails Good or Bad?

Hi Apollo .
    Yes, there is a good chance that the snails came with the duck weed. I got them in my 1st system that way.
    I've seen others end up with them, without duckweed.

The only problem that I watch for is...they like to get stuck in the in-take of the water pump... . They are difficult to get rid of. They seem to lay a ton of eggs...and they are hard to see.
    I sometimes crush a few and toss them in the fish tanks. I have a friend who has aquariums. He comes and collects them for his 'puffers'.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

Thanks Apollo for bringing up this topic. I had been wondering the same thing lately. Wanted an possible extra food source for the fish and another buffer against unwanted algae.

Well any news on the snail front Apollo? Clog your lines or kill your plants?

I have found snails in the Floating Duckweed Raft, in the Breeding Tank which also has duckweed growing in it and in a 5 gal duckweed bucket.

Not found any in my Whirlpool Filter / Fry Catcher, GB's or the fish tank. Won't the Tilapias eat them if they end up in the FT?

All I know about snails is they are invasive and multiply exponentially. As a kid we had a small fish tank and we added a few snails to it to keep the sides clean. They did a wonderful job until there were so many snails we would have preferred the algae. They got everywhere. Plugged up the filter. Mom cleaned them out, or so she thought, and soon the herd was back. The only way we could get rid of them was to get another tank. Hope that doesn't happen to your set up Appollo.
    At what point did our government cease to be of the people, by the people, and for the people?

Thanks Roger, sounds like BAD news to me...I will hopefully to remove them since they haven't gone very far into my system (I hope).