Members

Remove dead fish immediately?

Out of 25 fry all but 5 are dead. Opened the package to the smell of dead fish. I saw a couple wiggling so I tried to salvage what I could. I had 5 that seem ok so far. The rest sank immediately. My question is should I try to remove the dead ones immediately or will that stress the living ones too much?

Re: Remove dead fish immediately?

Welcome BluFin, glad that you have joined us. May your journey bring you the knowledge that you seek, put a smile up on your face, create hours of pleasure to stimulate your mind, an a healthier life style for your heart...from Apollo__Phoenix, Arizona.

Sorry to hear about your fish...I would remove all dead fish, this should not be stressful on the live ones. If you were trying to catch one of your live fish, chasing it around the tank would be stressful. But removing the dead will save your water, in doing so will benefit your survivor's.

If you want to view my set up from start to now, check out “Fire Pit … AP” then “Pipe Siphon by Apollo” and ending with "Got Vertigrow?".

Yeah best to remove them. Hate to have something nasty grow in the water from all the dead fish. check with the supplier they may cover your losses.

Members

I didn't see any immediate responses and grew concerned, so I figured it was best to try to get out what I could. The fry are tiny and I have aquarium gravel in the bottom. Some of the gravel pieces are likely bigger than the fry. I think the dead ones sank into the gravel. I could only find 8 of the dead ones. The 5 living are so small I was worried I might either hurt or scoop them up retrieving the others.

I did contact my supplier and he says he will make good on it, (crossing my fingers).

I'm going to give it another day or two then maybe attempt to change out some water.

What type of fish were these?