Members

small scale aquaponics with Tilapia possible?

I'm starting an aquaponics system and plan to use a fill and drain system with a bell siphon. My limiting factor is going to be my tank. I'm going to be using a 125 gallon tank for the fish. I'll have a few smaller 20 gallon tanks for other purposes if needed. I'm going to start with one grow bed that's about 3' by 1.5' and about 4 inches high and hopefully expand to double that as fish grow.

Can I grow tilapia in this system or is there a better option as far as edible fish that I should grow instead with such a small tank?

Any advice or direction would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Re: small scale aquaponics with Tilapia possible?

Welcome, jacob.morgan78 from Central Virginia, glad that you have joined us. May your journey bring you the knowledge that you seek, put a smile up on your face, create hours of pleasure to stimulate your mind, an a healthier life style for your heart...from Apollo__Phoenix, Arizona.

I'm still kind of new to all this stuff but when you say "I'm going to start with one grow bed that's about 3' by 1.5' and about 4 inches high". My main concern is not the size of your fish tank but the depth and size of your growth bed. At 4 inches high with your water level 1-2 inch from the top of your GB, not nearly enough room for plants, your Bio Filter to operate and no bell siphon not even my Pipe Siphon will work under those conditions. Should be a depth of 12" to 14" in your GB's and your ratio is not enough.

Your fish tank...just raise less fish and you should be fine with it.

If you want to view my set up from start to now, check out “Fire Pit … AP” then “Pipe Siphon by Apollo” and ending with "Got Vertigrow?".

I agree that the size of the tank is less of an issue. 4" of grow bed is going to be the bigger issue

Members

Okay, I think I misspoke. The GB container will be 6" high. I'd like to have about 5.5" of media and about 4.5"-5" of that media being flooded during the cycle. Does that help or do I still need to look for something higher?

I'd like to start with the end in mind so if I would want to grow tilapia to be about 1 pound before harvest, would I be safe with about 15 fingerlings in the 125 gallon tank?

thank you guys so much for your help. I haven't started any of the plumbing so it's not too late to change container size.

I've got 20 Talapia in my tank and I keep about 150 gallons of water in it. That's pushing it but it seems to be working. My grow bed is 12" deep however and if you don't go that deep I believe your plants will struggle as well as your siphon as Appollo pointed out. It's a lot easier to change the design rather than change an existing setup. Trust me, I learned that lesson.
    At what point did our government cease to be of the people, by the people, and for the people?

Members

Quote Originally Posted by Roger L.
    I've got 20 Talapia in my tank and I keep about 150 gallons of water in it. That's pushing it but it seems to be working. My grow bed is 12" deep however and if you don't go that deep I believe your plants will struggle as well as your siphon as Appollo pointed out. It's a lot easier to change the design rather than change an existing setup. Trust me, I learned that lesson.
    Thank you! that really helps!