Members

Trouble draining a large bed

I have a 4x12 GB with a 2" standpipe, 4" bell. Siphon is at one end and inflow is at the other. Siphon starts but stops before all the water at the other end of the GB has a chance to drain out. I do have a breather tube and it just gurgles while the water at the opposite end is trying to drain. Any ideas on how to get the entire bed to drain? Should the siphon be in the middle of the bed?

Re: Trouble draining a large bed

Welcome, Mamaraya, glad that you have joined us. May your journey bring you the knowledge that you seek, put a smile up on your face, create hours of pleasure to stimulate your mind, an a healthier life style for your heart...from Apollo__Phoenix, Arizona.

I'm using a 1 1/2" standpipe that is connected to a 2" drain pipe on two large GB's (3' X 12' @ 14" deep). I changed from using a Bell Siphon to my own design "Pipe Siphon by Apollo". I'm draining mine from one corner with no problem, you could try using a smaller stand pipe to allow a little extra time for the water to reach that end. Or change to the Pipe Siphon, its design will allow it to work where others have failed. My GB's take 8 mins. to fill and 4 mins. to drain, and have work with both a 2,650 GPM and a 2,110 GPM pump. I change to the smaller pump and did not have to adjust anything because of the reduced flow of 540 GPM. I also have about 1/2 of my water that just loops back into the FT though an aerator ring.

If you want to view my set up from start to now, check out “Fire Pit … AP” then “Pipe Siphon by Apollo” and ending with "Got Vertigrow?".