Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: semi is up and running

"I had read about your siphon early on in my studies. I was a little unsure that I understood how to make one".

I should have posted a disassembled picture of the Pipe Siphon...this next picture should help.

Please, contact me with any questions.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130828_131810.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	1.86 MB 
ID:	4521  
    Attached Images Attached Images

Members

Thanks Apollo, I went back to review your setup and understand, this last pic is helpful, too. Now, I have to lift the GB off the FT to cut off that s-trap debacle of a drain system. Brother coming to assist w/in a day. In the meantime, off to the hardware store for some more elbows and a tee. Thanks again!
    "No man is poor if his word has value." - Dad

Build and install the pipe siphon first before you change the drain system, it might work with your S. DRAIN.

Members

Yeah, tackling that s-trap is going to be a problem and a half. My brother talked me into drilling a 40/1000s hole at the top of the bell cap....it worked! No more manual firing or overflow. Automatic Flood/Drain cycle every 11-15 minutes for nearly 2 hours now as i tweak flow rates. Thanks for your help and time Apollo. I will build it your way,too. For now, I'm enjoying what seems to be a reliable bell siphon. With bigger fish coming this weekend, the time pressure is off for siphon solving.

You may have given me the answer to my failed attempts with the Bell Siphon...I had a long Pee Trap that went under the side wall of my GB's. Air in the bell is suppose to build up to the point where it fires the siphon. With your S. Trap and my P. Trap, it provided too much resistance / nerved fired / then would overflowed the GB's.

My P. Trap drainage pipe was buried under 2 inches of cement and cinder blocks. If only you could learn everything from the mistakes of others...live and learn.

"My brother talked me into drilling a 40/1000s hole at the top of the bell cap....it worked!"

What made your brother come up with that as a fix...it seems like it goes against the whole principle of having pressure build up in the bell to get it to fire. Hey if it works for now, that's good...what happens if it gets a small bug stuck in it when your at work?

Members

He's familiar with air & fluid flow & vacuums, retired Roush Racing Engineer. I subbed a tall, narrow glass vase for the bell to see what was happeninginside. It revealed a large bubble of air at the top that kept the water from rising fast or high enough to allow the siphon to fire (the water level inside lagged behind the outside by more than 2" regardless of the height of the bell). That seemed to guarantee an overfill. Shortening the stand pipe didn't help either. My thought was the water in the s-trap resisted the pressure from incoming (into the bell) water. So we started hatching a hoisting op so I could get at and cut off the s-trap. He had some tiny bits and suggested we try someting simple first. What a relief that it worked! So maybe it is the absence of pressure in the bell that makes it work.

True, the hole is vulnerable. I have assembled a 3/4" bulkhead and emergency spill pipe above the full line so any overfill will be redirected back into the FT. In times of my absence, I will revert back to constant height so I can sleep easier, for one I am around here most of the time anyway as I have retired twice.

Members

I still want to give your siphon a try and have the materials on hand now. I will have to empty a lot of hydroton into something before I can install it. With bigger fish coming this wknd, I was pressed for time to settle this contraption down to be a service to fish and fauna It is working like clockwork for now.

Members

By the way, you have a beautiful set-up! I envy it and the climate that makes it possible. But, family is here and living in the woods forces me into the garage. If this goes well, I will add-on a south facing 10x16 AP greenhouse to our home.

The "snorkel tube" on the top of the bell is nothing new. My bell would always "fire" but would not release at the end. I added a 1/4" piece of tubing to mine and ran it down to the grow bed. Works like a charm every time. I guess we each have our own experiences and have found a way to overcome problems as they arise. Just goes to prove the old adage, there's more than one way to skin a cat. No actual harm befell any cats during this posting. Just added that disclaimer for the PETA folks.
    At what point did our government cease to be of the people, by the people, and for the people?