Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Members

semi is up and running

Thanks to the help of Oliver, Apollo and many others here, I have an ibc based AP cycling with 20 feeder goldfish. pH at 8.2 in 150 gal FT & 75 ga GB which floods & drains every 14 minutes. The fish have been here 24 hrs, no measuable amm, nitrite or nitrate yet. Water temp 74 due to 2 350 watt heaters (still some snow on the ground).

Tanks are double layer bubble wrapped inside the cages and 1" exterior foam boarded outside the cages. Cramped space in front of car in an unheated garage forced a mylar floor to ceiling curtain. To make it possible to get to the back of the system, I put the whole thing on sandwiched osb to 1" with 12 270 pound rated non-rotating casters under it. This big skateboard was a 'perfect' design that rolled fine until the water went in. Maybe when the family shows for Easter dinner, we can get it used to moving again.

Once I learn how to post pics, I will
    "No man is poor if his word has value." - Dad

Re: semi is up and running

Very nice semi. I can't wait to see the pictures. You may need to create a photobucket login to link to the pictures. I find that do that works well.

You might have to grow some spinach before you are able to get the skateboard rolling!
    Less irritating avatar since 02/27/14.

Members

dead_sled, I forgot to consider my lack of mass trying to move it. When brothers were here, it moved with ease. So, I will rig 2 tow points for my car to tug on. I have pics in photobucket, but don't know the address to insert between [img]and[/img]. Dropped some hydroponically rooted watercress in to see if it takes. Less than. 25 ppg ammonia and no nitrite or nitrate showing yet. Goldfish diet just got a lot heavier. Temp at 72, pH at 7.6

To share a picture from photobucket:
    1) View the pic to be shared in your photobucket account.
    2) Click the text box labeled 'IMG' in the 'Links to Share This Photo' box, located to the right of your image. This copies the link information for you.
    3) Paste the link into the 'Post a reply' box.
    4) Rinse and repeat as necessary
    Less irritating avatar since 02/27/14.

Members

Thanks dead_sled...lemme see if I get the same options on my primitive tablet. I am a techtard but still teachable

Members

the overall pic of the setup.

Members

the underbelly. Foam boards obscure the casters and platform in the previous post.

Members

semi is up and running/tripping/stumbling

I fiddled with the siphon so much that it ceased to be reliable. I have a CHOP system for now. I think the problem is that s-trap. It never did let the GB fill enough. I substituted a glass vase and discovered it was holding a lot of air at the top and preventing the siphon from firing before the GB reached overflow...a good 2" above the stand pipe height. I think the s-trap prevented enough air through to equalize the pressure inside the bell. My arms are too short to reach the downspout before the trap to cut it all off and replace with a straight exit pipe (big mistake cementing the exit plumbing together). In any case, my tow straps are in place for when I need to tug it all away from the the wall to reach the back. No plants there yet, seedlings are popping up every day. Dropped some hydroponically raised watercress with root ball in to see what would happen...it's alive after nearly a week with new growth. Split another into 3 and they also seem okay.

"I fiddled with the siphon so much that it ceased to be reliable. I have a CHOP system for now. I think the problem is that s-trap".

So what is a CHOP system? Not sure where you came up with the design on your drain pipe...sometime less is more. Have you ever read the beginning of "Pipe Siphon by Apollo"? If I were you I'd give the Pipe Siphon a try! I spent 3 weeks trying to get the Bell Siphon to work...it won't fire and overflowed my GB's, then it won't reset and left my plants without water. What a waste of time and money, so unreliable even if I got it to work, it would make me sick just worrying about it.

My Pipe Siphon has worked PREFECT, since day 1...best part of my whole system.

Members

chop=constant height one pump. I had read about your siphon early on in my studies. I was a little unsure that I understood how to make one. I will definitely revisit. There are so many bell siphon versions and videos, I thought that was the way to go. They are definitely a crap shoot. Thanks for responding with a solution Apollo