Members

First attempt of 55 gal aquaponics.

I started my tank at the beginning of March, and around the 12th of March I added the plants and fish. I added them the same day and the tank is on a timer set for 15 on 15 off. Using R.O. water and hydro clay balls for the medium in the tank. I started with three Koi and 12 feeder fish. One feeder died the first night and a week or so later 2 of the Koi died, I did a water change because the Nitrites were very high. It took another week for the last Koi to die. I added two normal size gold fish and five more feeders. They have grown and are staying well in the tank.

I think the herbs are growing pretty well considering of the problems that I've had with the fish.

Do you all think 16 feeders and 2 bigger goldfish will be sufficient for this system? I am not sure of how many gallons of water I have, but I figure it should be close to 18-20 gallons.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	aquaponic3.jpg 
Views:	410 
Size:	88.1 KB 
ID:	4511  
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: First attempt of 55 gal aquaponics.

Welcome, Milo from Lake Elsinore, CA...glad that you have joined us. May your journey bring you the knowledge that you seek, put a smile up on your face, create hours of pleasure to stimulate your mind, an a healthier life style for your heart...from Apollo__Phoenix, Arizona.

Real nice setup...1st one I've seem like that.

Have you tested for DO (Dissolved Oxygen)? Do your fish gulp for air at the surface? Do you have an air stone? I've seen some really large AP Systems running on 6 - 7, four inch gold fish.

You said that you Nitrites were high...how high? How about your other readings, Ammonia, PH and Nitrates. I have never had my Nitrites move off O ppm, my guess is your system never completed its cycle. Mine took months to cycle in and bring my PH down and for the Nitrates to get above 40 ppm. My Nitrites stayed at zero and my Ammonia only got up to 0.25 ppm...lots of water splash down on returning water to FT.

I don't have a small set up but I think you got more than enough fish, watch your Ammonia levels and back off on the fish food if it gets too high.

If you want to view my set up from start to now, check out “Fire Pit … AP” then “Pipe Siphon by Apollo” and ending with "Got Vertigrow?".

Members

Apollo thanks for answering....I don't know what dissolved oxygen is, but my fish seem to be good. My Nitrites I think were from my Koi dying . My other readings were right on, but my tank is so small I can correct in one water change.

I was hoping some others would join in on your post...so if the floating Koi was what brought your Nitrites levels too high, than what killed off your three Koi? I do think that you need to invest into an air stone to bring more oxygen to your fish and stop feeding the fish until the levels drop below 1.0 and aerate as much as possible. You can also add salt to further protect your fish's health.

Have you read Aquaponics 101 by Oliver? You can find it at the bottom of the Forum Page.

When you started your system what did you use to start your cycling? When you placed your fish in your system would have had less then two weeks to cycle. In 20 gallons of water you won't need more then a hand full of goldfish they will grow to fit their tank. What is the ph of your system? Do you have any air supply other than the returning water from the grow bed?

Once the system completely finishes cycling your nitrites should be in check.

Members

I have had some success, but am loosing some fish on a weekly basis, luckily they are cheep, but my food isn't growing like I would like. I found that my ph and alkalinity were off the chart and my nitrates were a bit high but not really unsafe. I was able to bring down the ph down along with the alkaline, but I would like it better. I have lost all the herbs after growing good, and have had good peppers but seem to be slower now. I am thinking that I need to get an air stone. What type of salt and how much. I do have some healthy fish and it seems that the smaller ones are the ones dyeing now. I had just started feeding twice daily just incase they weren't getting enough food.

Did you add the air stone?
    any updates?
    Put all excuses aside and remember this: YOU are capable - Zig Ziglar

Another fallen aquaponic poster!?!

Quote Originally Posted by topz
    Another fallen aquaponic poster!?!
    He's busy, trying to build another system... :P
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan