Hey guys and girls

I have managed to get my hands on an IBC tote for $50, I plan to make an ebb and flow system out of this one.

Parts: 1 IBC Tote, 1 water pump 45w 2,500 liter ph/660 gallon ph, 4 bags of hydroton (clay balls), PVC piping for outflow, water tubing for inflow, 2 plastic bottles to make the bell siphon (will add parts to this list during the build, as I have probably forgotten a few parts).

Plan: I plan to make the same old tried and true IBC system, I will be cutting the top off and flipping it upside down to be my grow bed, I hope to be able to fill the fish tank up to about 800 liters/ 210 gallons, I plan to have 8 inches of hydroton in the grow bed, and aim for about 5-6 inches as the max water height in the grow bed, I will make a bell siphon out of a 1.25 liter bottle and a 2.25 liter bottle, I plan to sit the grow bed on the fish tank so that half of the fish tanks top is still accessible, however I plan to place this entire system outside, so to protect the water from the sun I want to make a trapdoor style door for the front half. I hope to paint the outside of this system and the cage around it, haven't decided on colours yet though. I haven't decided on the fish I want to have in this one yet, but tossing up between rainbow trout, salmon or silver perch.

Questions:

Are there any obvious flaws?

Does anyone have any hints or tips?

Does anyone have any suggestions about the trapdoor? (I'm basically the "unhandy man" so I'm learning as I go with building things)

Are there any types of paints to steer clear of or paints I should look for?

Are there any precautions I can/need to take if I want to paint the outside?

What's the the easiest way to seal/set in place an upside down plastic fizzy drink bottle? (using where the lid screws on as the exit for the grow bed)

I think that covers it, Thank you for reading

Jay the Druid from Aus