Members

Dissolved oxygen...

Hello...new to the process of aquaponics but decided to experiment this year. I've researched all I can find but still have a couple of questions. Pardon me for my ingnorance...I'm trying to learn.

There is not a ton of information (that I can find) on the issue of dissolved oxygen in fish tanks. Maybe it's such a non-issue that not much needs to be discussed. Now, I have read Oliver 101 from stem to stern and he mentions it in several posts, but I still have questions.

I have the typical IBC tote set up. 3cft of grow bed, 12cft of fish tank. I'm to the point where I will be introducing catfish fingerlings in about 2-3 weeks. My drain pipe to fish tank water level is about 15 inches at start of syphon to 4 inches at completion. My edd and flow cycles about 3 times an hour. Am I introducing enough oxygen into my fish tank to reach that minimum of 6ppm?

If I need to add an aerator I was looking at adding a T to my outflow pipe from the pump and trying a flexible piece of tubing placed into that T which will flow back into my FT using a Venturi affect. I'm not sure if I'm explaining that correctely or not...

I know that all answers are not concrete, but I was wondering if, at least, I'm moving in the right direction.

Thanks in advance for your comments,

kevinh

Re: Dissolved oxygen...

In my opinion...you can never have enough O2.
    air pumps are cheap
    would love to see pictures of your system
    Put all excuses aside and remember this: YOU are capable - Zig Ziglar

Re: Dissolved oxygen...

Welcome to the forum. Pull up an easy chair, sit back and enjoy the ride. As for oxygen, I second what Aloha Don said. The more movement you can get in the surface area the better.
    JCO
    Irish eyes are always smiling but
    • "In the eyes of the world, you are only as good as your last success"
    so never forget
    • "MAN IS ONLY LIMITED BY HIS IMAGINATION"