Members

Dill in DWT or NFT?

Does anyone know of a trick to get dill to grow well? As you can see in my Kitchen Herbs Thread, the dill isn't doing that great. This is the 2nd system I've tried to grow it in - the last one was a F&D system. Both times it sprouted, and both times it's withering at about 2-3" tall.

In looking at the Kitchen Herbs, could nutrients be too limited? I add some liquid trace fertilizer about once a week, and I feed the fish twice a day. In all my time in the aquarium hobby, I've gotten used to going by how things look to determine if anything is wrong... might I have to break out a test kit? I think the only one I have is Nitrate, would I need to test for P or K?

Thanks!
    Jason M.

Re: Dill in DWT or NFT?

Flood and drain media beds so far have been the only way I've gotten it to grow. Now I can't keep it down. It didn't take to my nft so I can't help you there.

Hi Jason, Knowing your PH is one of the important things. When I first started, my PH was on the high side. Once I got it in the 6.8 - 7 PH range, the plants really started to grow well. Plus, by then, I'm sure my nitrate level was a little higher too.

My friend and I grew dill at Sahib aquaponics. We have mixed systems and I don't remember off hand, if it was in media, rafts or perhaps some of the towers..? Working on the 1st cup of coffee... ...I want to say it was in the towers with a coir mix, and some in the media beds.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

Members

I think getting the pH down in this little system will be difficult. The fish I have in there live in shells, which buffer the pH, and tap water I add is also well buffered and has a pH of 7.6-7.8...
    Since it's just a 10gal tank, it's easy to revamp.. will give it some thought over the weekend.
    Jason M.