Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Members

Re: GB/FT/Fish Questions

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo
    "Not entirely sure how food grade safe the tote is I would be using for the FT area anyways." IBS food grade totes are the same ones that I use in my Rain Barrel System and what others are using for the AP set up here.
    Hey Apollo thanks for the input. I was just saying the 29 gallon tote I have now that I was going to use for the FT is not IBC or IBS. It was a tote I purchased from Costco so it likely isnt Food Grade.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger L.
    Hello and welcome DaSoul. I also have a basement system. A couple of things I have learned, if the fish tank is on the floor it needs to be insulated from the concrete and T5 lighting is not good enough. Both these lessons I learned the hard way. Raising a fishtank with 175 gallons of water is no easy feat. The extra money on lighting is better spent up front than replacing insufficient lighting later. Also buy the food grade IBC. look online to find someone who sells them or get them from a food manufacturing sight. Anything that hauled fuels or insecticides I would definitely stay away from.
    Thanks for the information if T5 isn't good enough what type of lights do you recommend for lighting in the basement. Those lights are very well reviewed on Amazon and I am surprised that you would say it wouldn't be enough. I'm probably going to start with growing greens at this time so there is that.

Thanks,

Scott

Members

Hey just thought I would add this.

I read "pipe siphon by Apollo", the siphon design does seem good, as someone else pointed out you only need one down pipe, I believe the double down pipe is extra "fool proofing", however it seems that the reluctance to use a bell siphon was due to its complexity and diffuculty to get it running properly.

Here is a VERY simple bell siphon. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDzcKgWLRf0

Hope this is helpful
    I still find each day too short for all the thoughts I want to think, all the walks I want to take, all the books I want to read, and all the friends I want to see. -John Burroughs

Members

Quote Originally Posted by DaSoul
    Enjoying all the replies. I think I will be going with rocks in the growbed and from what I read 12 inches is the best number for the bacteria to work to break down the fish poop solids.
    I wouldn't rely on the GB to capture and process your solids. Adding solids filtration can be done simply, and at low cost, and will give you a healthier and more resilient system.

I read "pipe siphon by Apollo", the siphon design does seem good, as someone else pointed out you only need one down pipe, I believe the double down pipe is extra "fool proofing", Fool Proofing YES, much better to have twice as much water as needed to fire the siphon with no need to keep twinkling it. The problem I was having had to do with my return pipe back to the FT...wrong size, wrong angle, not enough drop, etc. The additional down pipe on the Pipe Siphon confiscated for the errors I make in my drain pipe to the FT, which was no longer accessible for modification.

I did add my Whirlpool Filter / Fry Catcher, 6 months after my system start up between my pump and grow beds. Even though there wasn't any build up visible in the GB's at the time I added my Vertigrow Towers...just to keep future maintenance down.

Sorry I left that important bit of info out of my comments. T8 lighting is the way to go. With the T5 my lettuce would start and then stall. With the T8's the lettuce took off and has provided salads whenever I want.
    At what point did our government cease to be of the people, by the people, and for the people?

Members

Scott, Your GB will provide all the filtration you need as long as you don't overload it with too many fish. This site might help. This guy has a ton of informative videos of accurate info. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKGiXoJMLbo I go back and review these regularly.

Members

Quote Originally Posted by Roger L.
    Sorry I left that important bit of info out of my comments. T8 lighting is the way to go. With the T5 my lettuce would start and then stall. With the T8's the lettuce took off and has provided salads whenever I want.
    Interesting Roger. I've tried both, and haven't had any issues with either. I would expect otherwise for the same number of bulbs since the T5's have a higher wattage.

Members

Scott,

Regarding filtration, I stand by my recommendation for dedicated solids and bio filters. You can setup a system w/o this, relying on your GB for these function, as many others have done successfully, but dedicated filtration will give you better water quality, greater carrying capacity at the same energy operating costs and a greater margin for error as you learn your way though the AP world.