Aluminum and fish?

I've been considering using some aluminum framing for an aquarium project I'm planning, but I can't seem to find anything on the net that says whether it will harm the fish or not (And I don't want to experiment with my Tilapia) .... does anyone got some personal experience with this? The aluminum would not be IN the FT, but the water might give off condensation which may drip or run back into the FT. THX
    I use the Linux Operating System ...... Free as in beer!
    You're never too old to learn something
    Aquaponics - food'n'fish at your doorstep

Helena, Montana - Home of the Northernmost Monument to the Confederacy

Re: Aluminum and fish?

The biggest problem with aluminum is that it corrodes so easily and quickly. I've read about marine aluminum alloys that don't, but I have no experience with them. Standard aluminum is not good.

There are some suspected links between aluminum and Alzheimer's, so just to be safe, I steer clear of using it for food.
    The best fertilizer is the farmer's shadow

Quote Originally Posted by badflash
    The biggest problem with aluminum is that it corrodes so easily and quickly. I've read about marine aluminum alloys that don't, but I have no experience with them. Standard aluminum is not good.

There are some suspected links between aluminum and Alzheimer's, so just to be safe, I steer clear of using it for food.
    Yeah, I knew about the aluminum/alzheimer's connection, I was wondering about any personal experiences with FT's ...... SS would be way too expensive, so I guess I'll probably have to go with wood . I can probably use Aluminum around the bottom where it won't come in contact with the water or get condensation dripping into the FT.
    THX

Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.-- Dr. Seuss, The Lorax
    Simplicity of character is the natural result of profound thought~fortune cookie

Quote Originally Posted by stucco
    I'm on SS, so the epoxy is out , besides, I was only going to use aluminum for framing, not the sidewalls ..... I'm a Redneck, so I try to use what I've got instead of buying stuff - Thanks!

Jackalope

Members

Can you sort out a way to make the framing so the top frame isn't over the water? I'm all for using what you got. Painting it or coating it to protect it from the water might also be a good option.
    TCLynx

jack, the epoxy comes in smaller containers, and you can possibly only use it where it would come in contact with the water. better bee has a food grade epoxy that isn't too expensive. sorry for no link http://www.betterbee.com/products.asp?dept=1278 , what the heck need not be lazy,just to many links. check it out. i plan to use it on my cider press.
    one life one love.