Do tilapias sleep or just rest?

Found three 3" pink tilapia that were suck up by my 2,200 gals per hour pump. I have a net around the pump but as time goes by the filter netting was getting pulled into the pump slots. My pressure and volume started dropping, when cleaning it out found the 3 fish. Do you think as they sleep on the bottom of the tank they got pulled into the pump and died or they died and then got pulled in? This makes a total of 5 dead in the past 3 weeks...thinking that those 5 were to ones that were stresses and wouldn't eat.

I cut a 2" section off the bottom of a plastic 5 gal bucket, to sit the pump in. Drilled lots of 3/4" holes in the bottom and sides, this will keep the net away from the suction ports on the pump. Allowing the pump to pull water though all of the netting not just from in front of the suction ports. This will make it easier to remove leaves and other debris from around the pump...hopefully no more dead fish.

Re: Do tilapias sleep or just rest?

Whether fish sleep or not, they have very sensitive nerve endings in their skin and can tell when water flow changes. I would say they were dead and then sucked into the pump.
    JCO
    Irish eyes are always smiling but
    • "In the eyes of the world, you are only as good as your last success"
    so never forget
    • "MAN IS ONLY LIMITED BY HIS IMAGINATION"

Thanks JCO,

The new buffer zone at the bottom of the pump to hold the netting away, will make for a more consent flow rate. It will also make finding dead fish much easier...one was there for quite a while by the looks of it. I would have thought my PH levels would have increased...tested water yesterday, no change.

Hopefully all will level out and your fish will stop expiring
    JCO
    Irish eyes are always smiling but
    • "In the eyes of the world, you are only as good as your last success"
    so never forget
    • "MAN IS ONLY LIMITED BY HIS IMAGINATION"