Solar Battery Backup for 12 volt Bilge water pump

This is a wiring diagram to set up an emergency 12 volt Bilge pump during power outages using a battery that is been trickle charge by a solar panel. I am using a 12 volt wall plug transformer that I had laying around, it connects to the coil relay to turn it on,when the relay is on, the battery is connected from 87 to 30, when the power outage happens the coil looses power and then 87a connects to 30 and the Pump comes on. When the power comes back then 87 connects to 30 again and the Bilge pump shuts off.
    I am using a 12 volt Solar panel to trickle charge my battery through a solar charge controller, Some people don't use the charge controller but I do for the reason been that the charge controller will prevent the battery from overcharging.

I am using a 5 pin automotive bosh relay, I bought them locally for about $5.00 each but I have seem them online as low as $2.00 each: http://www.parts-express.com/12-vdc-aut ... e--330-073

Members

Re: Solar Battery Backup for 12 volt Bilge water pump

I finally JUST GOT IT! Your "wall plug transformer" is also an AC to DC converter. These are a 2" x 2" cube with a cord and are used to back up battery powered devices, (ex. portable radio) that can be used where 120VAC is available to save the batteries. Great idea as these little converters have very low power consumption even while continuously powering the Bosch relay. Also, thanks for the web address, pin callout, and both schematics as I now know 86 is to +12V. This is important if you need a diode suppressed relay for a project. Any good with PLCs? Keep up the great thinking and ideas and posting so others can learn !!! Aquaally