Members

Tomatoes looking bad??

My tomatoes all of a sudden are going to hell. I have read a few ideas on here about adding nutirents to my water, but it seems like everyone has a idea on what. Wanted to ask what PH do tomatoes like? Also I included a few pics to ask for what do yall think I need most?
    They dont get much direct sunlight, but have a fluorescent light right above it with three different hue tubes. I have a whitefly infestation that I am struggling to get control of. The tomatoes are their favorite snack. But untill last week plants were growing fine and flowering great??
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Tomatoes looking bad??

Hi, I'm new to all this but on my system all my plants including my tomato plant were staying alive but not much more when my PH was high. Before I found out my pump had a metal core my PH was running 8.2 to 8.4 As far as I know your optimal PH should be 6.8 to 7.0, since I got mine down to that level all my plants are starting to green up and grow.

What are your readings? Where's your Nitrates level at? Tomatoes need a lot of Nitrates. What has changed from your past to your present readings?

I usually use a little of Maxicrop with iron once a month for nutrients but if the white fly infestation is out of control is not going to help to get the plants in better shape. I tried using yellow sticky pads and it helped a little, you can try adding natural predators like ladybugs or praying mantis....Right now I have a small problem with caterpillars in my tomato plants but no big deal.

One after thought...there are some flowers or plants that attract white flies. Grow a few of these plants in pots not in the GB's but in the same area. They will move the flies to those plants where you can now treat them by misting with soap water without contaminating your AP system. My ex-girlfriend (The Garden Lady) planted them in my Organic Garden, not sure what they are called but they look like bright yellows daisies.

Got these sites from "The Garden Lady"

http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/insect/05587.html Mentions all the plants whiteflies are attracted to and what to do. Also mentions chemicals and wasps that kill the whitefly.

http://www.ghorganics.com/whiteflies.html Mentions nicotiana or flowering tobacco. This site names flowers and other devices.

Just remember to adapt this formation to your system...not all can be used with AP

Members

The whitefly issue is a hot mess for me. Tried traps, 4000 ladybugs, and just ordered Encarsia Formosa. I hope that works better then the ladybugs and vacuuming. I can try planting attracting plants in my greenhouse, at this point I would pay them to leave!!
    My nitrate levels are really good. Always very dark red. I have let me PH slip too low a few times, but buffer it up once a week.
    I can try the maxicrop, I have not added any since cycling. I also trimmed the tomatos back today, they were a bit overgrown.
    Thanks for the advice guys!!

Here is a document with some info about nutrient defficiency....
    http://landresources.montana.edu/NM/Modules/Module9.pdf

Good luck with the whitefly problem. I know people who use a parasitic wasp when they have that type of visitor.
    Less irritating avatar since 02/27/14.