Help the new guy :-)

What type and size pump do you use ?

Submersible or in-line ?
    If you use a submersible,are you using one designed for 'dirty' water use?

What size....GPM / horsepower....for how many gallon system ?

Is there a desired water change (GPM) per hour for an aquaponic system ?

I know there isn't a 'set' answer....but I'm looking for some sugestions. Dont want to go too big (too much electric $)....dont want to be too small, not enough circulation

Thanks in advance
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

Re: Help the new guy :-)

I use a pond pump I got from Lowes ..... 355GPM .... worked good for me ...... I'm shut down on the aquaponics for the winter .... can't keep this old saloon warm enough during the winter .... we had 26 degrees in here last winter ..... hopefully, we'll be in the mobile this winter
    I use the Linux Operating System ...... Free as in beer!
    You're never too old to learn something
    Aquaponics - food'n'fish at your doorstep

Helena, Montana - Home of the Northernmost Monument to the Confederacy

Thanks for the in-put on the pump Jackalope.

Now about this ''winter stuff'' I'm pretty sure, the inside of my fridge is warmer then your house was last year. :P

Why just last week, I had to turn on the 'heat'....it had gotten all the way down to 58

However, I understand that "Brrrrr" Montana is a beautful place !
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

Pick a pump size that will give you 4 water changes an hour. I like submersible pumps for smaller systems, but in my largest system I use a small pool pump.
    The best fertilizer is the farmer's shadow

Hi Badflash, The 4 water changes per hour......does that apply to 'just' the volume of water in the fish tank.....or 'all' the water in the entire system ?

I'm thinking you ment 'all' the water in the system (?)

Thanks for the help

Just the fish. The idea is to not allow any ammonia to build up with the fish. Longer delays in the bed just makes the water cleaner.
    The best fertilizer is the farmer's shadow

Hey dave, the little pump that came with the system turned the bed over every 12 minutes. I used a second 450 gph pump circulating water from sump to tank. I also had that air pump I showed you. All three ran off one wall outlet with a three way extension cord. So not that much power used. jon
    Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.-- Dr. Seuss, The Lorax
    Simplicity of character is the natural result of profound thought~fortune cookie

Hi Jon, The pump you gave me......you used it to pump water from the sump to the grow bed ?

yes
    Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.-- Dr. Seuss, The Lorax
    Simplicity of character is the natural result of profound thought~fortune cookie