Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Whirlpool Filter / Fry Catcher, W/Pic's

Sorry, for the lack of pictures...not sure why they didn't post the 1st time.

Most people will agree that some kind of pre-filter is need to eliminate the build up of fish poop and debris in the GB. I have also been advised to put a sponge filter on the FT pump to stop the fry’s from ending up in the GB. That the sponge filter should be cleaned every other day…too much work on larger systems. Yes, it does stop the fry’s from getting into the GB…but they are still trapped there by the suction and die!

With my design the pre-filter eliminates the build up, fry’s pass though the pump and end up in the filter…hopefully alive. Water enters the filter about 2/3 full, is angled around a 6" center drain pipe, water rises to the top and return to the GB though the center drain pipe. I can remove the screen / frame, walk over to my breeding tank and submerge the entire frame…allowing the fry’s to swim away.

For those wishing to see my set up from start to now, check out “Fire Pit … AP” then “Pipe Siphon by Apollo” and ending with "Got Vertigrow?".

Left side; Inlet with 45 angle.

Right side; bottom dump system.

Removable fry catcher screen.

Name:	Verticgrow 058.jpg 
Views:	549 
Size:	59.3 KB 
ID:	4997   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Whirlpool filter w fry catcher 014.jpg 
Views:	571 
Size:	37.0 KB 
ID:	4998   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	W. Filter 4.jpg 
Views:	599 
Size:	30.7 KB 
ID:	4999   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Whirlpool filter w fry catcher 046.jpg 
Views:	562 
Size:	51.5 KB 
ID:	5000   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Whirlpool filter  w fry catcher 050.jpg 
Views:	609 
Size:	45.9 KB 
ID:	5001  

Last edited by Jason; 10-02-2016 at 12:28 PM. Reason: Fixed photo links

Members

Re: Whirlpool Filter / Fry Catcher, W/Pic's

Can't really follow the flow here Apollo. Seems interesting...

Water enters the filter on the left side, where the 45 degree angle is. Water moves counter clock wise, when water gets to the top it over flows down the center drain pipe. Look at the captions at the top of each picture, the other pipe leaving the filter on the right is the clean out value.

Water goes from FT to the inlet on filter, from the center drain pipe it goes to my GB's, before returning to the FT though my Pipe Siphon. Just follow the arrows.

Members

Ah, the pvc forming an 'X' is simply to hold things in place. Are the fry supposed to fall into the center basket, and if so, will they be hanging in the net or will the water in the drain pipe be at a level that will allow them to swim around?

Members

If I follow correctly, I'm thinking that most fry will just live as long as they like close to the bottom of the barrel (unless the flow in there is quite high). Only if they get lazy will they get pushed up to the surface. Either way this system will definitely keep the fry out of the GB
    Jason M.

Nice set up Apollo. I especially like the siphon clean out for the bottom of the barrel.
    At what point did our government cease to be of the people, by the people, and for the people?

Quote Originally Posted by eddiemigue
    Ah, the pvc forming an 'X' is simply to hold things in place.
    Yes, it holds the drain pipe stable and center, it also supports my removable screen frame work. Notice that there is a white screen on the center loop but also a black flat screen the goes from the center loop just past the larger outer loop. If Frys go with the water flow they should end up either on top of the main black screen or go into the white center screened area.

Water level is adjustable by your water diverter value, system can run at just over the height of the center drain pipe. My preference is to slightly pressurize the filter, keep the lid on and sealed. This is also needed to push water to the top of my Vertical Towers.

Frys will have about 6" at the top of the filter to swim, it I ever find Frys in the FT, I will than check the filter. By opening my diverter value all the way open the water in the filter will drain slightly faster than the water entering it. Allowing me to remove screen frame work, with the Fry on it and drop it into my breeding / fry tank. I can than remove any additional Frys that may still be in the bottom area of filter.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger L.
    Nice set up Apollo. I especially like the siphon clean out for the bottom of the barrel.
    Thanks Roger, jvision and eddiemique, it nice to finally hear from some of you guys.

The clean out will work as a gravity flow if lid is open. A pressurize gravity flow if lid is on and filter is pressurized, if it gets plugged with too much solids you can hock-up a shop vacuum to the outer valves. With 1 1/4" PVC pipe I don't think it will ever get to that, I plan on pulling water from the bottom of the filter every week. I will than used that fertilized water for plants or trees...will than add rain water back into FT.

Members

Good stuff apollo - look forward to hearing of your success with this new setup.

I loved the fry catcher idea!!!