Quote Originally Posted by eddiemigue
Ah, the pvc forming an 'X' is simply to hold things in place.
Yes, it holds the drain pipe stable and center, it also supports my removable screen frame work. Notice that there is a white screen on the center loop but also a black flat screen the goes from the center loop just past the larger outer loop. If Frys go with the water flow they should end up either on top of the main black screen or go into the white center screened area.

Water level is adjustable by your water diverter value, system can run at just over the height of the center drain pipe. My preference is to slightly pressurize the filter, keep the lid on and sealed. This is also needed to push water to the top of my Vertical Towers.

Frys will have about 6" at the top of the filter to swim, it I ever find Frys in the FT, I will than check the filter. By opening my diverter value all the way open the water in the filter will drain slightly faster than the water entering it. Allowing me to remove screen frame work, with the Fry on it and drop it into my breeding / fry tank. I can than remove any additional Frys that may still be in the bottom area of filter.