Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Members

Re: Building Gary's system

Quote Originally Posted by Aloha Don
    Are you using a wicking-type system in your grow bags in the trough or are you using a drip?
    Very nice work you are doing!
    New guy on the block here and I was wondering the same thing Don. A glance at the trough makes me think its via wicking which means a timer system too I suppose otherwise root rot issues.
    Visits to my cousins farm made me want to become a farmer. Life wanted me to be more mainstream but now is the time I come full circle and attempt my childhood dream.

[quote=GK Daddio]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Aloha Don":2mexf7ak
    Are you using a wicking-type system in your grow bags in the trough or are you using a drip?
    Very nice work you are doing!
    New guy on the block here and I was wondering the same thing Don. A glance at the trough makes me think its via wicking which means a timer system too I suppose otherwise root rot issues.[/quote:2mexf7ak]

....I'm sorry for taking so long to answer.

The water flows constant. The mix in the bags 'wick' up the water. There are no root rot issues...

The bags have holes in the bottom, and, in the sides. The side holes aid in 'air pruning.'

The mix is standard for wicking set ups. Mostly pine 'fines', along with peat and perlite. The top few inches of mix, are actually dry....and gets wetter, closer to the bottom. The roots decide where they want to be...

I add guano's, azomite, blood meal, bone meal and lime to the mix at planting time.
    Long term plants like, okra, tomatoes, peppers, egg plants, ect...I top feed with bat and sea bird guanos, as they grow.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

When your done shoveling snow.... :P
    dream your here, helping tying up tomato branches, pinching off suckers ...and of course eating tomatoes !

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

Looks great wicking bags look like a quick effective way to expand a system.

Thanks Topaz...

My thoughts on the bags....

-They 'just use' water from the system.
    -They are 'not' helping to filter/clean the water.

Your killing me with the topaz. Lol

I suppose your right about the filtration might give a great place for bacteria to live though.