Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Hi from Dave in central FL USA

Thanks JCO... ....I didn't think about frogs.... I live less then a 1/4 mile from a lake that is several miles across. If the blue racer in my yard likes frogs...He will be happy.

I will put up a fence like you suggested. I planned on one around the FT to keep the tilapia "IN". If I do get 'Tads'...I'll have to try netting them and feeding them to the soldier flys.

I'm supposed to get a small pool pump from some one....I was going to use it as a 'vac' only. I also was thinking about a filter box 'before' the sump. I have some citrus trees, blueberries, lots of perinials and a necturine tree that would love some fish 'poo'.

Some day I'd like to get some of these tanks and put them in my shop. I might be able to get 4 in there and have room for some smaller ones along the other wall. I could have the veggies, just outside....gotta have a dream/plan ....

EDIT....I thought that this picture came from Edgar Sanchez's web site.
    TILAPIA FARMING AT HOME (.com)
    Now I cant find the 'page' where I got the picture. (???) The tank set up's are really nice !
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

Dave,

I almost forgot the other evil varmint that can devastate your tilapia, herons and the like will come and sit on the side or wade and eat all the fish that are small enough for them to eat so you need to have a screen of some sort to keep them out or grow out your fish to a size too large for them to eat before putting them outside. OH, and don't forget Raccoons....they are particularly worrisome for all size fish.

It's so great to spread good cheer
    JCO
    Irish eyes are always smiling but
    • "In the eyes of the world, you are only as good as your last success"
    so never forget
    • "MAN IS ONLY LIMITED BY HIS IMAGINATION"

Thanks again JCO. The critters you mentioned this time, I had thought about. I always see bald eagles and such flying around.

I know someone who is raising Koi, in a very large cyrstal clear lake. Well, he ended up having to dye the water to keep the bald eagles from 'seeing' the fish. They were cleaning him out.
    Oh yeah, and then there are the otters.

I've been offered by two different people, to help me set up a green house over the fish. I will be using shade cloth on most of it. The lower part, I will use bird netting.

'Stucco' had made some nice wood slat type coverings, for his FT's. I may also do that, to try to keep out the 'coons'..... like you mentioned.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by davidstcldfl
    The critters you mentioned this time, I had thought about. I always see bald eagles and such flying around.
    My wife worries about the Eagles getting our two small dogs when we put them into the outside pen ..... of course, I might not miss her dog too much, it's one of those yappy Pom-Poos that barks at just about anything, including her own shadow ....... Oh, I guess I'd miss her a little bit, she's so darn cute .......... now of course, if an eagle took my Jack-Rat, I'd have to hunt it down and kill it ........

Those are nice looking IBC's in that pic ...... I can't find any at all up here, unless they have been filled with poisons for the outlawed weeds in the pastures ....... ..... who would possibly think of outlawing weeds, except gov't workers that want to justify their jobs ...... kinda like kudzu down south, who was it who introduced it to the US? Gov't Workers! Now they outlaw it's propagation because it's invasive ...... but they have justified their job, haven't they? I'd like to get some Kudzu seeds to grow in my aquaponics for making tilapia food out of it .... it is protein, after all .
    I use the Linux Operating System ...... Free as in beer!
    You're never too old to learn something
    Aquaponics - food'n'fish at your doorstep

Helena, Montana - Home of the Northernmost Monument to the Confederacy

Hi Jackalope, Those are nice IBC's. The picture was from a site, where they add the pipes/filters to the tanks. When you bought them, you already had a system to go.

I just realized, in my previous post. I didn't give them 'credit' for the picture, but it came from their site.
    Now, I cant remember where I saw them ??? I'm practicing for old age ! I used their picture, because I liked the set up, so much.

I've been reading too much, I'm forgetting 'where' I read something....

I see them (IBC's) on craig's list, here locally. One of the listings, talks about using them to catch rainwater. Maybe , those are 'clean' ones (?)

I like what you said about the weeds and the government....lol.

On the kudzu, the story I heard.....was a lady had gone overseas on vacation, brought back some for her garden. Then nature took over !

Quote Originally Posted by davidstcldfl
    On the kudzu, the story I heard.....was a lady had gone overseas on vacation, brought back some for her garden. Then nature took over !
    This is pretty much what I've read in many places .......

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    United States

Kudzu growing on trees

Kudzu was introduced from Japan into the United States in 1876 at the Philadelphia Centennial Exposition, where it was promoted as a forage crop and an ornamental plant. From 1935 to the early 1950s, the Soil Conservation Service encouraged farmers in the Southeastern United States to plant kudzu to reduce soil erosion as above. The Civilian Conservation Corps planted it widely for many years.

Kudzu growing on shrubs

It was subsequently discovered that the Southeastern US has near-perfect conditions for kudzu to grow out of control — hot, humid summers, frequent rainfall, temperate winters with few hard freezes (kudzu cannot tolerate low freezing temperatures that bring the frost line down through its entire root system, a rare occurrence in this region), and no natural predators. As such, the once-promoted plant was named a pest weed by the United States Department of Agriculture in 1953.

Infestation of Kudzu in the United States.

Kudzu is now common throughout most of the Southeastern United States, and has been found as far northeast as Paterson, New Jersey, in 30 Illinois counties including as far north as Evanston,[12] and as far south as Key West, Florida. It has also been found growing in Clackamas County, Oregon in 2000 with no known source. This is the first infestation west of Texas.[13] Kudzu has naturalized into about 20,000 to 30,000 square kilometers (7,700–12,000 sq mi) of land in the United States and costs around $500 million annually in lost cropland and control costs.[14]
    more here ...Clik
    See, just like the so-called Pig Flu, the gov't creates a crisis, and then justifies their job by attempting (although very poorly) to get rid of the crisis!
    I use the Linux Operating System ...... Free as in beer!
    You're never too old to learn something
    Aquaponics - food'n'fish at your doorstep

Helena, Montana - Home of the Northernmost Monument to the Confederacy

LOL... ....Just got to love the government.... The current admin has too many voter districts listed for some states, (and giving money to them) makes me think of the show......'ARE YOU SMARTER THEN A FIFTH GRADER ?'

Sorry.... I better get back to aquaponics, this is starting to read like a Neal Boortz forum :P

This weekend....... my friend's brother, has a green house that we're going to tear down. Then it's comming to my place I'll be covering it with shade cloth. It's for the FT, to keep the sun off and to help slow down the critters, from getting in.

Members

Hi Dave,
    I'm new to this particular forum (I've very active over on one of the others and I'm sure many people here know who I am though.)

Anyway, I stumbled across this forum and your thread here.

Guess what, if you want some Blue Tilapia, I have some right now I would be willing to share. I'm not that far away. Just Up near Mount Dora. I've got some little tiny babies that were born in the past couple months and I have some more slightly larger juviniles that were from some late spring breeding. If ya got an ice chest and battery powered bubbler, you can easily get some home. Send a PM if you are interested. I won't be keeping the small ones too much longer as I want to get the quarantine tank ready for a new batch of catfish.

I'm not going to keep many tilapia overwinter. Just some in an aquarium inside I think since I don't want to put the effort/money into keeping the system as warm this winter. I have channel catfish that will keep well over winter and in our climate, I think probably grow just as fast as the tilapia. But tilapia are far better for small tanks and can handle a new system cycling up much better than channel catfish will.
    TCLynx

Wow TCLynx, I've been so busy reading all the new posts by the new people signing on....that this is the first time I've see this. ....
    Thanks for the offer.

The best way is to build a cage with short legs that will keep the fish off the bottom. A 4X4X8' cage can house 1000 fish as long as you have good flow and filtration. Easy to feed & harvest. 1/4" mesh works well. The structure can be made from PVC pipe.
    The best fertilizer is the farmer's shadow