Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Hi from Dave in central FL USA

Thanks for the offer Jackalope. If I cant catch some....I know what to do
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

Christmas came early !

A great THANKS to Jon (Stucco) and his wonderful wife, I now have a great start !

This is for the 'veggies'. I even ended up with some nice bamboo

Of course the bigger one is for the fish, the smaller for the sump. I also ended up with a start of soidier fly larva !

I had a great time checking out thier set up. I also got to meet their two little boys....what great kids...boys will 'BE' boys !

"THANK YOU" AGAIN !
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

Best bet is to net the fingerlings near the shore. The acclimate to the aquarium a lot better.
    The best fertilizer is the farmer's shadow

It looks like the bamboo did ok at 80.
    Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.-- Dr. Seuss, The Lorax
    Simplicity of character is the natural result of profound thought~fortune cookie

That's a long ride at 50 mph.

Thanks again !

That's great! Hope you can get it set up soon! I'd like to have something like that setup at my place ..... just a couple of miles too far to go get it
    I use the Linux Operating System ...... Free as in beer!
    You're never too old to learn something
    Aquaponics - food'n'fish at your doorstep

Helena, Montana - Home of the Northernmost Monument to the Confederacy

Badflash.....Thanks for the tip. I'd probably have greater success, catching them too.

Jackalope....That would be nice if you could get to FL. It be great to meet 'ya all'

I would think, you would like to get a short break from all that cold....My hats off to you, I dont know how you can do it ? My blood is too thin, after living in FL all these years, and working outside in the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by davidstcldfl

Jackalope....That would be nice if you could get to FL. It be great to meet 'ya all'

I would think, you would like to get a short break from all that cold....My hats off to you, I dont know how you can do it ? My blood is too thin, after living in FL all these years, and working outside in the summer.
    It's called economics ...... I don't know where I could go in Fla. that I could find a $135.00 per mo. mortgage
    I use the Linux Operating System ...... Free as in beer!
    You're never too old to learn something
    Aquaponics - food'n'fish at your doorstep

Helena, Montana - Home of the Northernmost Monument to the Confederacy

Jackalope.....I know your right on that . Maybe some day, a vacation ? I'm dreaming of getting to Montana some day (when it's warm there )

Ok, I found myself standing in the backyard ( for hours ), just looking and moving stuff around, Trying to picture, in the future, where I might want to add stuff......

Whys everyone laughing ??? SOoooo,you been there too !

Dont know if you can tell.....The long tank on the stand, is actually up on a concrete pad.

The 2 pre-formed tanks will be buried. The small one ( the sump) I'll bury all the way to the rim. The larger one,I was thinking about 1/2 ways and forming some dirt around it , to help support it some.

Hey Dave,

Just a "Flash" here. If you put the rim of any vessel close enough to the ground for frogs to get in, your tank will be up to the rim in tadpoles during the season. They use up oxygen in the water as well as add waste with no useful results as to raising fish. To solve this problem if you just have to bury the tanks, surround them with welded wire mesh with holes too small for frogs to get through. Don't forget, where there are frogs, you will usually find snakes, surprise....because snakes eat frogs.

Also, if you are using the small tank for a sump and you put the bottom below ground level, how will you remove the accumulated waste?

Now that I have solved all your problems, go out in the back yard and have a good time
    JCO
    Irish eyes are always smiling but
    • "In the eyes of the world, you are only as good as your last success"
    so never forget
    • "MAN IS ONLY LIMITED BY HIS IMAGINATION"