Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Hi from Dave in central FL USA

Hello from Dave in Saint Cloud FL.

I haven't started an auquaponics system as of yet. Years ago, I had several fresh water aquariums and successfully maintained them.

For several years, I've been raising veggies. In central Fl, we get to raise them year round. One of the problems is, we have nematodes in our soil here. They attack the roots. We have to raise plants that are resistant to them or rotate where we raise our veggies.

So, I'm wanting to try auqaponics. I've been reading (here) and anywhere else, I find info and ideas on it. I see there is a gentleman in Orlando that sells (mostly) male fry's , also he will sell breeder colonies. These breeder are supposed to produce primarily males. If I go this route, I'll have to get a permit from the state to raise them.
    If, I could find some 'blues', I understand a permit would not be required.

I guess I'm like most people....it's going to take some time to get things together. Mostly the "CASH"...lol.

I've already been offered 2 above ground swimming pools. One of them is from a friend that also has green houses. He's offered to set me up with a hoop type. Also he has a good contact, to get pvc at a great price.

I also know someone who raises Koi. I know he mentioned he has some extra equipment. I'll have to see what he has.

Thanks for all the great ideas and info from everyone. Take care and be blessed.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

Re: Hi from Dave in central FL USA

Hey Dave, welcome to the Show...!

First off, before you purchase any fry or breeders from anyone, you need to confer with our resident Tilapia brain, Badflash.

As for Blue Tilapia, since you live in the Orlando area, if you will only go out to your nearest large canal and do a little fishing, you will be able to catch all the Blue Tilapia you can haul home and the only permit you will need is a fishing permit.

Blue Tilapia have invaded just about every waterway and pond from about the middle of Florida all the way south so grab a line, a hook and a pole and go to it and good luck with your project....don't forget... there are many members on this forum who range in experience from beginner (like you) to 'Ole Hands At It and all of them are only to happy to give you any information you may need; additionally, the pages of the main site and all the topics of the forum are worth the price of any Aquaponics manual or guide book and it cost you only a little time to go through it.

Now....GO FISHIN'
    JCO
    Irish eyes are always smiling but
    • "In the eyes of the world, you are only as good as your last success"
    so never forget
    • "MAN IS ONLY LIMITED BY HIS IMAGINATION"

Hi, JCO, I used to live in Orangedale ....just down the river a little ways from you. Thanks for suggesting just catching my own. I read that they aren't that easy to catch on a hook though. I didn't keep my cast net when I moved....

This is the type of breeder colony that I was talking about buying......

A breeder colony consists of six female pure breed orange O. Mossambica, and one male pure breed improved body form O. Hornorum.

No time soon, thats for sure. Kind of costly, but the idea of having (98 % male fry ) certainly sounds good.

Does anyone have an opion on this breeding colony ? Thanks....
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

Howdy Dave, we have a working system over in Palm Bay. If you are interested, my old system needs a good home. It is a 10’x2’ cattle trough with two plastic ponds plumbed together one is the tank and one is the sump. It just needs some plumbing parts and grow media. You are more than welcome to it! Any hoo welcome to the group. If you have any questions I’ll be happy to help. jon
    Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.-- Dr. Seuss, The Lorax
    Simplicity of character is the natural result of profound thought~fortune cookie

davidstcldfl Welcome to the forum! Glad to have you here!
    I use the Linux Operating System ...... Free as in beer!
    You're never too old to learn something
    Aquaponics - food'n'fish at your doorstep

Helena, Montana - Home of the Northernmost Monument to the Confederacy

Hello to 'Jackalope' in 'brrrrr' (as in too cold, but beautiful) Montana

WOW Jon... THANKS, that would be great. I'll gladly pick it up at your convenience. I do have a 4x8' trailer, that should work.

If you'll PM me....I'll give you my phone number. Hope to meet you soon and get a chance to see your system in person.

davidstcldfl welcome to the forum this is a great place to learn and to grab great idea's , i wish i got an offer on a system like you just did
    one life one love.

The further north you go the more likely they are to be blues.

As to the breeder colony, they are not mostly male, but they are fast growing and get big, both the males & females. Grown in cages so they can't spawn they do pretty well, so no sex reversal in needed.

Don't get the gold or orange mossies, get the black ones. I developed them for Mike. They breed like crazy. The orange rarely produce hybrid fry.
    The best fertilizer is the farmer's shadow

Hello to you, mpugh5. I sure am looking for lots of info...

Hello badfish. Someday I would like to buy some nice breeders. For now, I'm going to try some 'blues'.
    Opps....I just noticed I wrote 'badfish' instaed of 'badflash'....that wasn't some kind of a 'jab', just proof I need bi-focals.

According to Fl fish and game.... there are 'blues' in the large lake that my city sits on. I'll just have to practice my fishing skills....

This is kind of interesting....At Fl fish and game's web site, they say...just "assume" any tilapia caught are blues. But then they say, any ones that are not blues , must be put on ice. However, the blues can be kept alive. They dont want the hybrids to be (live)transported.

In-order to keep them from breeding.... I need to suspend a net, just above the bottom of the tank ?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by davidstcldfl

According to Fl fish and game.... there are 'blues' in the large lake that my city sits on. I'll just have to practice my fishing skills....

This is kind of interesting....At Fl fish and game's web site, they say...just "assume" any tilapia caught are blues. But then they say, any ones that are not blues , must be put on ice. However, the blues can be kept alive. They dont want the hybrids to be (live)transported.
    If you get tired of fishing, PM me, and I can put you in touch with some Blues

Quote Originally Posted by davidstcldfl
    In-order to keep them from breeding.... I need to suspend a net, just above the bottom of the tank ?
    Yup! just use a net or screen that is suspended 1" or so above the bottom, so the eggs will fall thru it and she can't get down to pick them up.
    I use the Linux Operating System ...... Free as in beer!
    You're never too old to learn something
    Aquaponics - food'n'fish at your doorstep

Helena, Montana - Home of the Northernmost Monument to the Confederacy