Hello from Dave in Saint Cloud FL.

I haven't started an auquaponics system as of yet. Years ago, I had several fresh water aquariums and successfully maintained them.

For several years, I've been raising veggies. In central Fl, we get to raise them year round. One of the problems is, we have nematodes in our soil here. They attack the roots. We have to raise plants that are resistant to them or rotate where we raise our veggies.

So, I'm wanting to try auqaponics. I've been reading (here) and anywhere else, I find info and ideas on it. I see there is a gentleman in Orlando that sells (mostly) male fry's , also he will sell breeder colonies. These breeder are supposed to produce primarily males. If I go this route, I'll have to get a permit from the state to raise them.
If, I could find some 'blues', I understand a permit would not be required.

I guess I'm like most people....it's going to take some time to get things together. Mostly the "CASH"...lol.

I've already been offered 2 above ground swimming pools. One of them is from a friend that also has green houses. He's offered to set me up with a hoop type. Also he has a good contact, to get pvc at a great price.

I also know someone who raises Koi. I know he mentioned he has some extra equipment. I'll have to see what he has.

Thanks for all the great ideas and info from everyone. Take care and be blessed.