Members

Tilapia waste question

A odd question for the aquaponic masses. I have had Crappie and Catfish in my tank for 9 months now with no issues. I put 25 Tilapia in about 4 months ago with no issues. And, happy to say they are growing just fine.
    Question is I am starting to see lots and lots of what I am taking as floating waste in my tank the last two months. Can anyone who raises just Tilapia let me know if their waste floats? And if so, how do they get rid of it?? I am guessing its the Tilapia because my other fish have been in the tank for quite some time without any floating surprises. It just started, and is getting worse now that they are growing???

Re: Tilapia waste question

Have you check your pump volume it maybe coming from poor circulation now that there is more waste in the tank. What's the tank size and pump GPH? A picture might help to, take a look at the clarity of the water in my tank, (look in "Breeding Tilapia help" by dsrtizrd32). Look for Apollo Nov 10, 2013 @ 9:39 pm, you can see the reflection of my flash off the bottom and other items perfectly clear after going though 32" water.

I have 20 Tilapia in my 150 gal tank. The fresh poo seems to float but will get soaked and sink to the bottom. I keep a little net by the tank and when I'm around I take the floaters out. The rest will gather with the flow in the bottom and I suck it out with my pool cleaner (see my other post for the brand and info). They poop a lot!
    At what point did our government cease to be of the people, by the people, and for the people?

Tilapia waste does seem to float sometimes in small amounts, maybe it comes from the aggressive gulping when they feed and all the air they swallow. But it usually settles to the bottom in a short period of time. Only issue I have seen. is what little that does seem to float, wants to stick to the sides of the tank, drain pipes, etc. sometimes.

Members

Yep, that about seems right. I dont have alot of accumulation on the bottom of my tank, it stays pretty clear. I have lots of pump, and several crawfish that are my sweepers. I just was stumped at the floating poop that i starting seeing. It does stick to the side of my tank. My little babies are growing up I guess??
    I have been scooping it out when I see it, but may just leave it in and see if it sinks. Let the sweepers get it!! Thanks guys!!