Talk about jumping in with both feet!

I purchased a geodesic dome in 2008 and it sat in the driveway until last year when I got a call from a carpenter friend that needed a place to live and upon his arrival, he proceeded to turn our place into a pile of sawdust, so to speak.

After he built our office, he did several additions, windows etc. and an award winning deck. One day he asked what the big boxes were out in the yard and from there, it started, my life will never be the same.

So, up it goes!

At about this point, of course, he starts asking questions about the tank and liner that came with the package and tells me that I should make it as big as possible and put fish in it. I thought....okay!

Now 30years ago I worked for Marine Land Life Support (Aquaria Inc.) and had lots of experience with biological filter systems. That was a long time ago and I thought it would be best to get a couple of books on the subject. The first book that the big brown truck brought was Sylvia Bernstein's Aquaponic Gardening. Needless to say, I was hooked, so to speak. The grand idea of dirt filled boxes went out the window and the digging began.

This will probably be my first, no, second mistake. First one is, I should have started smaller. Second is that the sump tank is probably too small. It is a 100gal stock tank for an estimated 1500gal system.

My plan is to have two pumps in the sump, a main 1000gph and a 800gph on a float switch for high level support.

Now I am almost ready to do some plumbing and fill the tank and I'll continue by replying to this post.