Members

Growing media question

I am planning my first system to start this spring in Wisconsin. I am debating which growing media to use. I am wondering if a combination of lava rock and clay pebbles would work. I would love to do all clay but think that cost may be a little too high. I am using an IBC cut at 1 foot deep for my grow bed. By my math I will need approximately 14 cubic feet of grow media. After doing all the conversions from cubic feet to liters, I need approximately 9 45 Liter bags or 405 liters of clay. I am thinking that maybe I could put the lava rock on the bottom half of the grow bed and the clay on the top half. Or would I be better off mixing it together? Thank you for any help

Re: Growing media question

The very first AP I looked at used the bottom 1/3 lava rock and the remaining 2/3 the expanded shale. Cuts your cost & the part of the GB that you're planting in still remains hand friendly. This man is a master at everything that grows...I also did the same on my 2 large GB's.

If you want to check out my set up go the "Fire Pit ... AP" then "Pipe siphon by Apollo"... enjoy!

Members

Apollo, thank you for the response, the gentle on the hands part is another consideration I didn't think of when I mentioned mixing the two media together. I thin I will go the route of lava on the bottom and topped with the clay pebbles.

Pea gravel will work good too, I used it in my first test tank. just soak it in some vinegar and water for say 24 hours to neutralize and balance the pH, this helps avoid fighting it daily.