Members

koi versus edible fish

For some reasome the search feature is not working for me so i am going to ask this question and if it is a repeat maybe someone can send me to the right place.

For what i have been reading here and multiple other sites is that in a commercial system the fish are more or less a break even point as far as roi for the system. I am looking to build a backyard system to help feed my family and hopefully make enough to sell a little at farmers markets or to friends. Most people around here catch their own trout/bass/perch to eat so i imagine it could be hard to sell any edible fish.

Why is using koi not a valid option. Seems to me that some koi can sell for large sums of money even though it can take years to get there. I think not changing out fish as often would help keep the water balance in place. Am i totally missing the boat here? It seems so obvious to me that i must have it wrong.

Re: koi versus edible fish

Koi is a valid option. The economical return on koi depends on the variety and quality and size. I have seen Koi sell for thousands at auctions.
    At first I left this blank...but now I believe: "It's better to keep your mouth closed, and have the world think your a fool, than open it and confirm it."

You should talk with JCO. He raises Koi in a swimming pool. He can probably answer all your questions. See his book about Fish in Aquaponics on the home page.
    At what point did our government cease to be of the people, by the people, and for the people?

I have Koi as well, and keep them in main pool. The disadvantage to Koi is that they need a lot of room, primarily surface area more so than depth. You will need typically at least 2 ft of depth depending on climate. Koi get large. my breeders are over 2 ft. And I get spawnings from them 2x a year. They make thousands, and if you use spawning mops you can isolate the eggs from them as they WILL eat their own eggs as well as each others.

Butterfly and Japanese are two types that there's always a market for. Within that, pick a "type"....usually refers to patterns style to go with. DO NOT mix the patterns or your $ value drops dramatically. That's what seperates a $1,000 Koi from a $20 Petco Koi.

Go to 1/2 price books, or amazon, or whatever and get yourself a book on the different types of koi.
    At first I left this blank...but now I believe: "It's better to keep your mouth closed, and have the world think your a fool, than open it and confirm it."

Members

If you have a market for koi, and go about it the right way (selectively breeding/culling to get top notch fish) then it seems promising. As Roger states, JCO seems to be doing this with success.

I keep thinking of adding a koi system some time in the future, not for profit, but purely for aesthetic/relaxation reasons (nice water feature that doubles as an input for plants). I started my AP efforts (as well as my other backyard growing ventures) solely with the goal of feeding my family quality food that is independent of the machine in place. Now, I have been tempering this with aesthetic considerations to feed the soul, and koi might just fit the bill.

Members

I was afraid this was going to happen. Now not only do i need to dive head first into aquaponics research but now i am gonna add koi breeding research into the mix. Why can i never just stick to on thing!

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I think the koi may get put on the back burner till i get a getter grip on what sorta system i am gonna have. Too many irons in the fire and i end up getting burned.

JCO
    Irish eyes are always smiling but
    • "In the eyes of the world, you are only as good as your last success"
    so never forget
    • "MAN IS ONLY LIMITED BY HIS IMAGINATION"