Quote Originally Posted by stucco
Hey jackalope, I was planning on pulling the seeds before they turned black, but since you want some I will let a few mature. No problem The darn thing has already grown another 15”since the post.
Thanks ...... how does it taste, have you tried any yet? ..... we have such a short growing season, that it might be just the thing to raise for food ..... I hate spinach, but the wife loves it . If you do save a few seeds, I'd be interested in trying it out and give you a report on how it goes ..... just don't save a whole lot of them seeds, just enuff to get a few plants started will, from what you've shown so far, be enough to get more seeds for the next year --- if it will grow here at all

Malabar Spinach (Indian Spinach, Lo Kui)

Malabar is a vigorous climbing vine in warm climates. This vegetable is very popular in tropical and subtropical areas. Young leaves and tips are used like spinach in cooking and salad. Seeds are sown in spring and early summer. Seeds have hard coating and it is suggested to soak seeds in water overnight or the seed skin be scratched before planting, to improve the moisture absorbing process during the germination. The seed germination rate is relatively low and it is suggested to sow slightly more seeds for obtaining enough plants. The plant is almost insect-free and is very easy to grow. Harvest by cutting the young leaves and tips for begetable use, but keep 2-3 leaves on the branches for subsequent new branches to grow.
This site shows that there are two varieties ..... green vine and red vine ...... sounds like it would be good if you can keep up with it ...... I like the 'insect free' part about it .