malabar spinach?

Has anyone tried to grow Malabar spinach? When I bought it the guy at the store gave me a warning that it would take over. My thoughts….. A vine that tastes like spinach, and will take over… ill take 5! I planted them oct. 20 as seedlings 3 inches tall and now 15 days later they are almost 3 feet long. It seems to like the aquaponics.
    Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.-- Dr. Seuss, The Lorax
    Simplicity of character is the natural result of profound thought~fortune cookie

Re: malabar spinach?

It grows very well and tastes good prepared in a number of fashions. BUT, it reseeds itself everywhere and you will have to weed it out of all the garden. Unless you are careful, it could take took several years to get rid of it.

I read an article some time back about this plant growing unchecked along a river in north eastern NSW (Australia) where it was smothering trees 10-15m high! Watch out, the traits of hardiness, self propagation and rapid growth are characteristics of a weed. Please make sure you dispose of any seeds or waste in a responsible manner to prevent it from becoming a pest in your area. Maybe you should eat it before it eats YOU
    JCO
    Irish eyes are always smiling but
    • "In the eyes of the world, you are only as good as your last success"
    so never forget
    • "MAN IS ONLY LIMITED BY HIS IMAGINATION"

Thanks for the info JCO! I think for now I have a bamboo steamer and the winter on my side as far as it taking over. The guy that sold it to me said he brings his inside during our two weeks of winter. I think pinching the seeds off early maybe a good idea. The plants are young and already seeding.
    Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.-- Dr. Seuss, The Lorax
    Simplicity of character is the natural result of profound thought~fortune cookie

Are you guys sure that isn't Kudzu?

Actually, I'd like to get some Kudzu and give it a try up here to see it it will grow in our soil ..... my wife's garden was a flop this year .... but it did do a little better than my aquaponics system The only bugs we had to contend with this year were grasshoppers ...... they ate most of her garden ..... no way to run them off, even the Marigolds didn't deter them, and no self-respecting Robin will show himself during grasshopper season. She wants me to build a glassed-in Greenhouse off the back of the Mobile for next year, just to keep out the 'hoppers' and such, No way, I got better things to do!

By the way stucco, when you pick the seeds off them, save a few for me, the wife wants to try Malabar Spinach next year
    I use the Linux Operating System ...... Free as in beer!
    You're never too old to learn something
    Aquaponics - food'n'fish at your doorstep

Helena, Montana - Home of the Northernmost Monument to the Confederacy

Hey jacklope, I was planning on pulling the seeds before they turned black, but since you want some I will let a few mature. No problem The darn thing has already grown another 15”since the post.

Are you sure it's not "THE PURPLE PEOPLE EATER"? Better stear clear of it, it'll be growing on you next
    JCO
    Irish eyes are always smiling but
    • "In the eyes of the world, you are only as good as your last success"
    so never forget
    • "MAN IS ONLY LIMITED BY HIS IMAGINATION"

Quote Originally Posted by stucco
    Hey jackalope, I was planning on pulling the seeds before they turned black, but since you want some I will let a few mature. No problem The darn thing has already grown another 15”since the post.
    Thanks ...... how does it taste, have you tried any yet? ..... we have such a short growing season, that it might be just the thing to raise for food ..... I hate spinach, but the wife loves it . If you do save a few seeds, I'd be interested in trying it out and give you a report on how it goes ..... just don't save a whole lot of them seeds, just enuff to get a few plants started will, from what you've shown so far, be enough to get more seeds for the next year --- if it will grow here at all

Malabar Spinach (Indian Spinach, Lo Kui)

Malabar is a vigorous climbing vine in warm climates. This vegetable is very popular in tropical and subtropical areas. Young leaves and tips are used like spinach in cooking and salad. Seeds are sown in spring and early summer. Seeds have hard coating and it is suggested to soak seeds in water overnight or the seed skin be scratched before planting, to improve the moisture absorbing process during the germination. The seed germination rate is relatively low and it is suggested to sow slightly more seeds for obtaining enough plants. The plant is almost insect-free and is very easy to grow. Harvest by cutting the young leaves and tips for begetable use, but keep 2-3 leaves on the branches for subsequent new branches to grow.
    This site shows that there are two varieties ..... green vine and red vine ...... sounds like it would be good if you can keep up with it ...... I like the 'insect free' part about it .
    I use the Linux Operating System ...... Free as in beer!
    You're never too old to learn something
    Aquaponics - food'n'fish at your doorstep

Helena, Montana - Home of the Northernmost Monument to the Confederacy