Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Self Sustainable Breeding Tank

How do you delete a post?????????????????????

How do you use the Quote Tap to only do a small section?????????????????????

I moved to breeding tank about 6" out from the corner and with the small pump my aerators do not run water that far. About the only movement of water in the breeding tank is that it will rise and fall as the GB's drain & fill.

[quote="Apollo"]"Just a note...The duck weed likes the 'surface' of the water to be somewhat still."

I moved to breeding tank about 6" out from the corner and with the smaller pump my aerators does not run water that far. About the only movement of water in the breeding tank has is that it will rise and fall as the GB's drains and fills.

1. Can you have duck weed and fry's in the same area? (breeding tank)
    2. The duck weed debris at the bottom of your tank...I have an 9" bottom feeder fish that is keeping the tank really clean. Would he take care of that problem?[/quote

I would think the fry would like the duckweed. It would be a place for them to hide.

I'm not sure about the bottom feeder eating it...it might ?
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

Is there any one duckweed that grows better here in AZ? Do Tilapia prefer one over another?

Members

Lima minor is said to be the fastest growing vascular plant there is, with doubling rates as low as 4hrs with ideal conditions. It does get everywhere, tho, b/c it's so small. If you can find Lima major, it grows almost as easily, but is easier to keep out of places you don't want it b/c it's significantly bigger. In Canada, you can get either from many aquarium hobbyists, so I imagine it'd be similar in the US... know anyone with an aquarium that has live plants growing? There's a good chance they'll have some duckweed. If not, check the local pet store. If they sell live aquarium plants, there's a good chance they'll have duckweed. Lima minor is by far the more common. You may have to do a little leg work to find Lima major.
    Jason M.