Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Stupid siphon....Need Help....again.

The quail look similar to our Texas A&M strain. Personally I try to avoid the all white ones. When little they are bright yellow and don't seem to grow the same as the brown ones. Or maybe mine are just weird.
    At first I left this blank...but now I believe: "It's better to keep your mouth closed, and have the world think your a fool, than open it and confirm it."

On the garden situation. I would encourage you to research vertical gardening. Yes, I have the materials to make a lattice for climbers and will be installing 4 towers to each GB. Problem is so far my plants in the GB's aren't doing that great, either my PH @ 8.0 is still to high or my trees are shading it to much.

Why are we using a T and two intakes for the siphon stand pipe? With two intakes it allows more water to enter and fire the stand pipe. Plus with 200% water feeding your stand pipe instead of 100% it makes it almost maintenance free. With unrestricted water flow to the stand pipe it also increase the flow rate.

Yes, a 90 at the bottom of your stand pipe is fine...I have mine that way. As for the drain pipe enters your FT, I have two 90's connected together makes it easy to fine tune,

I was reading up on Chukar partridge, 2 questions will they cohabitate with my quail? It stated that they only lay eggs from April / May well into summer. My quails 1 egg per day almost 100% of the time, as far as size goes the only different I noticed was not color related. All my males are smaller then the females.

The eggs of the Chukar are more than 2x the size of the Coturnix eggs. Most people don't eat those Chukar eggs, I am sure you can, but once you eat one of those birds you will be hatching every egg they lay and they are prolific layers during the on season. The Coturnix will lay nearly one a day, almost year round, but it takes 3 of theirs to = one chicken egg. They have better food conversion rate, and lay much earlier, but it takes more eggs to equal same mass of one chicken. So pick you poison. Mine are white meat, and I eat them as often as I can as even BBQ, Souis Vede or smoked. The eggs I pickle or hatch.
    Or crack in ice cube trays, 3 to a hole, and freeze. Use for baking, omelettes, etc as all premeasured.

They are far healthier meat/egg than chicken.

Chukar should live with quail fine, provided there's enough room. They are extremely peaceful. And fly tiers will want the skinned portion for flies.
    At first I left this blank...but now I believe: "It's better to keep your mouth closed, and have the world think your a fool, than open it and confirm it."

Off to gather 3/4 pvc parts and start tinkering with this some more. I have to build a frame system to support this off the ground. Under the framing I will cage in, and that's where I intend to either put more quail or the kids pot belly pig.....they are so freakin tasty.

What's the grow out rate on the Chukar before you invite them for dinner? I'm new to all this...I have a Still Air Incubator and an Automatic Egg Turner. But haven't used it yet, with the quail chicks they said to keep them inside for the 1st six weeks. I got me chicks @ 3 day old, kept them outside with shelter and a heat lamp. All 20 were fine but that was in Sept, not sure how they would do this time of year. Do you have to do anything special to hatch the little guys?

Quail eggs have 2 - 3 times more protein per egg and a lot of other good stuff, eat 3 eggs at a time you get 6 - 9 times more protein than if you eat just 1 chicken egg.

Not sure what this means "And fly tiers will want the skinned portion for flies".

I have used about every type of incubator up to about the $600 range. Still air will work, but has cooler/hotter spots in chamber. Ideally you want forced air...but they cost a little more. You don't have to have an egg turner, they are nice, but cost more. When NOT using one, take pencil, not pen and mark X on one side of egg. Turn egg either X up or X down each day, keep them all the same for that day. So each day will be all X's or no X's.

Grow out time depends on how big you want them. Usually a couple months for me. But I have a big apetite and eat just about everything out there.

Quail feather within in a week. I keep mine inside for 1 week. 2nd week they are outside during day and in at night. 3rd week they are outside, sink or swim. But I give them a 60 watt heat lamp about 14 inches off the ground from sundown to sun up. They survive by forming coveys to stay warm.

So as long as you have say 10 birds, your fine they will keep each other warm once they are feathered.
    Look into a "lock down" period. This is key with any incubating. Don't assist hatches. It's tempting but you will learn there's a reason they are struggling hatching. IF they survive, the ones you helped out are never quite right and usually are defective. Quail tempts and time to incubate are different than chickens. Research BEFORE starting a set to prevent issues. Do NOT wash eggs you tend to hatch. The water plugs the pores in shell and suffocates developing embrio. The ones that don't hatch, open and observe what went wrong? Bacteria? Deformed ( usually caused by not turning enough or too much-embrio settles to one side and dies) where they shrink wrapped? I could write a whole website just on trouble shooting hatches.

Bottom line....you will learn. And they lay enough eggs, that you will run out of incubator space before long. Research it.....do it....when you fail, and you will at least once, we all do. Open the eggs in a well ventilated area and find out why. What you find when you GENTLY open the egg identifies the problem.

Always always always give them 2-3 days LONGER than the calendar says. Nature is sometimes a little off. And IF your temp fluctuated, or humidity was off it WILL effect the hatch rate, days to hatch, AND gender...the last one is debated frequently. I am going by 30 years of first hand experience with this. I will always take my first hand experience over a book, some bean counter in a basement with no windows wrote. Also, I did game birds and poultry in 4H as a kid, amongst other projects.

On the incubators....still air works, just not as consistent. I have even hatched reptiles in still air ones. They are just a pain. And for just a little more money there are far better buys out there. IF this is something that you are going to do....I would encourage the proper tool for the proper job.
    IF you are unsure, go still air till you decide as small investment if you change your mind, and people readily buy them on CList.

Members

not silicon, most silicons have toxic additives, and anyway it doesn't work. I use fibre washers on a bulkhead fitting just over hand tight - any tighter will cause distortion. So far no leaks.

Just FYI, but I have used a PVC electrical fitting (they are not tapered thread), an O-ring, and a plastic conduit nut if you don't have a threaded hole (you will have to sand the end down so it won't bottom out) to get through odd spots before. I don't remember the exact fitting I used, but a little sanding on the inside and I was able to pass a PVC pipe thru it and cement it in place. I was using it as the base for a bell syphon, but it would work horizontally.

Back to you foodchain, on Japanese Quail & Chukar. Your knowledge seems to be far greater than what I'm getting on another Forum.

I have a large multi level pen 7' X 12' @ 6' tall in my back yard, sits on the ground under a large tree.

I have hatched over 60 Japanese Quail over the year that I've had them, each hen would lay an egg per day. After hatching out 27 chicks I sold off all of my males to save on feed, knowing that I would have plenty breeding males in 6 weeks.

Shortly after doing so the egg production started dropping, down from 16 - 18 eggs per day to 1 egg per day. Do hens need a male in order to produce eggs?

As for my Churkar at what age should the be full grown and laying eggs?

Members

I used the bulk head fittings and wrenches to tighten mine with no silicon or sealer and they seated just fine I too have my barrels cut long ways..I used the bulkheads foam washer on the outside and no leaks.... I found that a heat gun and a Plastic welding kit from Harbor Freight to be quite useful when working with the barrels...Just my take on it anyways....

Yikes didn't see the post was 3 pages long already so info probably out of place...I guess that's what I get for typing without my helmet on.....