I found your post: Pipe Siphon by Apollo

This functions exactly as the external overflow box in my reef systems. However, I don't follow how I can take a vertical pipe (stand pipe) and turn it horizontally and have it still work. The water would just run out the pipe...
Unless...
Unless I bring the pipe in horizontally from the end of the barrel, then add a 90 facing up (inside the barrel half), then the standpipe. Is this what you meant?

Now, the plug is just over 2 1/2 inches across, but there's an inner threaded plug inside the big plug. It's threads MATCH the same thread as my threaded pvc. Which interestingly enough matches the same thread as thread on faucets for the outside of the house. Not the hose end, but the threaded end for screwing on to the house pipes. But I am getting off topic.

If I thread the pipe in though, it won't allow enough pipe to go through as the male fittings don't have enough thread for that. Might just have to drill the threads out and use PVC glue as a solvent to melt the two together....or silicone it. I think the sand paper idea first is a good one. Not sure why I didn't think of that. But that's what happens when you take a break from this...you forget the basics.

Your torch idea is a no brainer to. That's how we make strawberry towers.

In your post regarding your siphon. What did you coat the concrete block with? I have a lot of experience with pond building, but that doesn't look like concrete or epoxy, or even shot crete. And most definetly isn't a liner as no wrinkles.

My supply pump for this is a 2 inch pump, with 57 ft of head pressure. The 220 line I have to run for this is a nasty bill. But one headache at a time.