Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Stupid siphon....Need Help....again.

Okay. I know you want pics...that has to wait for now. They are coming.

Another new system build. But I seem to have forgotten how to do some of this.

1/2 barrel on side, cut lengthwise. Stand pipe of bell syphon goes through the curved side as the media goes in the wheel barrow like hole. Now. What part keeps it from leaking? And don't tell me silicon cuz that isn't working. For whatever reason it doesn't stay stuck to the barrels and peels off after a few weeks. I can't find a uniseal for this either, they don't seem to work with two curved angles at 90 degrees. A compound curved angle of the barrel mating to the curved vertical angle of the pvc pipe is killing me.

I considered a constant flow syphon and I don't think I want that. Ebb and flow is the way to go for me. Right now though, all ebb, and no flow.

I used to know this, what am I forgetting please?

Thanks in advance.
    At first I left this blank...but now I believe: "It's better to keep your mouth closed, and have the world think your a fool, than open it and confirm it."

Re: Stupid siphon....Need Help....again.

Sorry, I can't help you with your 1/2 barrel problem...I've never used them so I have NADA experience with them. Don't forget it's the Holidays and forum members are pre-ocupied with other matters and answers will be slow.
    JCO
    Irish eyes are always smiling but
    • "In the eyes of the world, you are only as good as your last success"
    so never forget
    • "MAN IS ONLY LIMITED BY HIS IMAGINATION"

What could possibly be more important....or addictive....than AP? Given enough time, frustration, and wrecked barrels I will find a solution. OR find a way not to use them at all.
    Wait...that gives me an idea. Barrels are just so dang cheap though. I gotta go, I got an idea and better do something with it before I lose it.
    At first I left this blank...but now I believe: "It's better to keep your mouth closed, and have the world think your a fool, than open it and confirm it."

As flexible as the barrels are when cut in half I would think you could use a bulkhead fitting pulled up good and tight.
    At what point did our government cease to be of the people, by the people, and for the people?

Maybe, but would have to torque the hell out of them with a set of wrenches. Hand tight isn't enough. When full of media, would the weight then cause enough change in shape to create a leak? Or maybe use threaded bulkhead with a dab of silicone on threads like tephlon/plumbers putty works? I just got four more barrels for free to work with. These are black not blue....but so what. They are safe based on contents, and I like black better, holds more heat.

I would think adding media to the half barrel would tend to flatten the barrel out more helping the sealing. A dab of silicone or plumbers putty may give some added sealing.
    At what point did our government cease to be of the people, by the people, and for the people?

No, your thinking of the barrel cut the other way, so like a bucket. These are cut lengthwise. So the bottom of the GB is the curved side of the barrel....as if barrel is on side. Bucket like cut would be easily fixable with a bung or bulkhead.

Being that the barrel is on it's side, there's not much give.

The barrels come with 2 inch threaded plugs, one in each half. But they are in the top, so when cut and laid on side, the openings end up being in the front or back. If you leave the plugs in, it holds water, take the plugs out, and the water runs out.

These plugs are within an inch or so of the outer lip. Can a bell siphon be mounted to this threaded port? Siphon would have to be L shaped. I have never heard of an L shaped bell siphon before. Does anyone have experience with this? Or an idea of how to make it work? Thanks.

So I have a solution.
    But I don't know how to make it or where to buy it. The local box stores don't seem to carry anything like this.
    The threaded fittings that go through the barrel, and screw together sandwiching the blue plastic barrel in the middle need a gasket of sorts to form the seal.
    Where do I find gaskets like this, or something similar to "form a gasket" material like I used to have as a kid for building engines? Came in sheets and you could cut out what you needed.

Hi, it's me again...two ways that should work. 1st take some course sand paper to ruff up the area to be sealed, Home Depot has a product call "AMAZING GOOP" it's a plumbing contact adhesive. Check out my topic "Rain Barrel" by Apollo. One more tip, take a propane touch...heat from about 8 - 10 inches from barrel opening for about 30 - 45 seconds. Now take something like a soda can to form it into a flat surface, practice on a junk barrel.

2nd, I'm 99.9% sure that the "Pipe Siphon by Apollo" will work using your end plug on your barrel. Made from 3/4" PVC parts, maybe two 45 elbows instead of one 90 to make a easy flow turn at the plug.

I found your post: Pipe Siphon by Apollo

This functions exactly as the external overflow box in my reef systems. However, I don't follow how I can take a vertical pipe (stand pipe) and turn it horizontally and have it still work. The water would just run out the pipe...
    Unless...
    Unless I bring the pipe in horizontally from the end of the barrel, then add a 90 facing up (inside the barrel half), then the standpipe. Is this what you meant?

Now, the plug is just over 2 1/2 inches across, but there's an inner threaded plug inside the big plug. It's threads MATCH the same thread as my threaded pvc. Which interestingly enough matches the same thread as thread on faucets for the outside of the house. Not the hose end, but the threaded end for screwing on to the house pipes. But I am getting off topic.

If I thread the pipe in though, it won't allow enough pipe to go through as the male fittings don't have enough thread for that. Might just have to drill the threads out and use PVC glue as a solvent to melt the two together....or silicone it. I think the sand paper idea first is a good one. Not sure why I didn't think of that. But that's what happens when you take a break from this...you forget the basics.

Your torch idea is a no brainer to. That's how we make strawberry towers.

In your post regarding your siphon. What did you coat the concrete block with? I have a lot of experience with pond building, but that doesn't look like concrete or epoxy, or even shot crete. And most definetly isn't a liner as no wrinkles.

My supply pump for this is a 2 inch pump, with 57 ft of head pressure. The 220 line I have to run for this is a nasty bill. But one headache at a time.