Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Members

Hello from the Midwest.

Hello,

I've made my mind up I'm gonna do whatever it takes to setup some kind of system in my house!!!
    I've gotten interested in other things in the past that I wanted to experiment with but this could be a life changing transition so I'm going for it. I'm going to start off small and go from there. I've found a small aquarium locally for $15 with all the supplies with it. I don't know that I'll use everything it comes with but $15 for a tank was hard to pass up. Next I plan on getting some cheap shelving units, put the aquarium on the bottom and my grow bed on top, I've decided to get some expanded clay media for the grow bed. I'm not sure what kind of container to get for the grow bed so I'd appreciate any suggestions. I'd like to try to grow strawberries, lettuce, tomatoes, peas and maybe beans. I'm a tinkerer so sourcing what I need to make things work isn't an issue, nor is getting them to work (with a little help, that's y I'm here). I also purchased some led grow lights off eBay , after some research it seems I probably would have been better off just getting led strips in blue and red, would have been a lot cheaper. If anyone has setup a smaller system with like a 10 or 20 gal aquarium I sure would appreciate some pointers. For fish I'm just looking at something like goldfish or something along those lines, decoration only I'm not going to eat them for this setup. And last but not least howdy all!!!!!

Re: Hello from the Midwest.

Welcome to the forum. Also if you will do some searches on the forum you will find plenty of members who have a small setup and info on how it did.
    JCO
    Irish eyes are always smiling but
    • "In the eyes of the world, you are only as good as your last success"
    so never forget
    • "MAN IS ONLY LIMITED BY HIS IMAGINATION"

Members

Greetings and welcome! I'd suggest that you start with greens (keeping away from anything flowering/fruiting for a while) as they have lower lighting/nutritional requirements, and are quicker/easier to grow. You can even start with a DWC system to save money on the media and just grow lettuce/basil/etc. on a floating raft with roots directly in water.

As far as the GB tank, the answer depends on your budget and requirement for food grade containers. You could pick up a plastic barrel, cut the top off at 12" or so and you have a nice little tank with built in fittings for inflow/drainage. Otherwise, I've seen folks use rubbermaid containers, but I'm not sure if they are made of food grade materials. Lots of others options as well, much depending on what you have available or have access to.

Members

Yeah I could maybe go with a small container of both? I'm considering getting another small aquarium and plumbing the GB's to utilize both. I could do one GB of DWC and one with media. As far as cost, I do have some money I'm willing to spend no more than $200. At least right now. If its something that needs improved, added to over time that's an option too. I read the 101 last night and discovered that flowering plants utilize more so I guess that will have to wait. It's a learning experience so I'm along for the ride.

Members

Nice. My first system was a 35 gal FT with goldfish and a DWC and media F&D bed. I grew lettuce, cress and chard, all of which grew at very nice rates, and the little system was a nice way to start my foray into the AP world.

As far as your budget, $200 should be plenty given your initial parameters and the fact that you already have a FT and supplies (not sure what is included in supplies).

Members

The supplies included the normal aquarium stuff, pump, a couple heaters, tube with air stone. Not sure if the pump will work for setup or not, it would take some serious modding I think to make it work for AP. it's one of those that sits on the side of the tank and just drains back into the tank. I'm a little concerned doing a F&D bed I'm wondering if 10G is too small? I'm thinking at this point I'm still gonna need to get a pump, air supply for bubblers and so on. How deep of a container is needed for DWC? Nt at home ATM but when I get back I will post a pic or two of what I have and would appreciate advice on where to go from where I'm at.

Members

Well, here's what I've got so far. Not much to look at ATM. I planning on another FT on the shelf right above the current one. Thinking about putting some house plants on the top and GB below that.

Sorry the pics are sideways, taken with ipad.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	235 
Size:	210.3 KB 
ID:	4230   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	232 
Size:	199.3 KB 
ID:	4231  
    Attached Images Attached Images

Welcome to the addiction fellow Hoosier!!!
    Put all excuses aside and remember this: YOU are capable - Zig Ziglar

Members

Just wanted to share an update, found a
    55 gal tank on cl today for $50 so I went for it. Just the tank, base and a few acc but well worth it to me, now I'm requesting help on how to proceed with the setup. Also got some led grow lights from eBay, after getting them I thought I probably would have been better off just getting some 5m rgb strips (thoughts?). Attached are pics of the new tank and other items I have to use ATM. The new tank has been drilled for port which u can see. The 10 gal I'd like to use for sump, intermediary tank between the main and the GB's. the plan for the GB's is a flood and drain probably 15 min every hour on a timer. Questions I have ATM are what kind of pump should I look for, suggestions for containers to use for GB. how to setup for what I have planned. I appreciate any help & suggestions you guys have.

Views:	208 
Size:	2.33 MB 
ID:	4276   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	203 
Size:	2.41 MB 
ID:	4277   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	217 
Size:	1.81 MB 
ID:	4278   Click image for larger version. 

Size:	2.37 MB 
ID:	4279   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	210 
Size:	2.21 MB 
ID:	4280  

Members

Pics cont

Views:	205 
Size:	2.11 MB 
ID:	4281   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	219 
Size:	2.11 MB 
ID:	4282   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	205 
Size:	2.22 MB 
ID:	4283   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	214 
Size:	2.00 MB 
ID:	4284   Click image for larger version. 

Size:	1.35 MB 
ID:	4285