Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: Breeding Tilapia help

I am also working with ornamentals. And some ornamentals that "Americans" don't usually consume. Example: Red belly Pacu. This has started a war on here before. But none the less I do it. They are bony, but are tasty...especially grilled. They are sold in the NE at higher end restaurants and this gave me the idea. I can't breed them, but so what? I grow them out just like a calf operation and carve em up like ribs on the grille. It's a sweet white flaky meat. Once grilled, the skin peels off easily, and they take to the flavoring of your choice of seasoning rather well.

In our higher temps during the summers, I can grow them outside. HOWEVER...each year you must order more. AND, each fall you MUST consume them. As they are too big to winter over. So the trick is not to order more than I can grow out or it's wasteful. Again see above in previous post. It takes the same amount of work for a few as it does for many. So why have 20 medium ones that are a pain to deal with, when I can have 2-3, or even 4 monster ones?

Again I am lazy. And would rather clean 1-2 then 20 or whatever. You get the idea.
    At first I left this blank...but now I believe: "It's better to keep your mouth closed, and have the world think your a fool, than open it and confirm it."

Re: Breeding Tilapia help

I have found that higher temps make eggs develop faster, but make for weaker fry and lower survival rates.
    I bring the temp up to breed, once spawning is complete, I back it down slowly a few degrees. For example I will go from 82 to 78/79 degrees. The idea is not enough change to cause them to swallow or spit out from stress, but I want stronger fry. Fast and sloppy doesn't work out well for me.

Netting often causes carrying females to spit the eggs. READ THAT AGAIN. Took me a long time to figure this out.
    At first I left this blank...but now I believe: "It's better to keep your mouth closed, and have the world think your a fool, than open it and confirm it."