Growth environments

Are there any environments in which certain plants grow better such as NFT, regular grow bed or deep water. It seems that the commercial guys use deep water for lettuce so I would assume that this is the best way. What about other plants and how do you decide?
    At what point did our government cease to be of the people, by the people, and for the people?

Re: Growth environments

I think you have to be a little bit careful not to assume that, for instance, rafts are "best" for the actual growth of the lettuce when it may be that rafts are just the most economical way to plant and harvest huge quantities of lettuce?
    It's all about the fish, dude.

Okay, that makes since that it would be a cost thing for commercial growers. The original question is still unanswered, are there growing methods better suited to different plants. I would think that some plants might like the constant water contact go deep water, some might like the minimal contact of NFT and most probably would like the flood and drain. Any thoughts?
    At what point did our government cease to be of the people, by the people, and for the people?

Members

I am also interested in this subject, and it has been the topic of many hours of research on my part, yet mostly unanswered.

The short and simple answer is YES, certain plants will work best in flood and drain(such as root crops), but I have yet to see any research doing head to head comparisons of various crops, in various aquaculture/aquaponic setups, and would find that interesting to see done.

Over the next few days I am gonna start working on a new thread with my idea for a testing greenhouse I have been contiplating in my mind, taking into account various growth methods found all over the net. Once I start it, I would be interested in any input you might be able to include.

BTW...my aquaponics knowledge is solely research based, but I do have years of garden growing, and aquarium background knowledge to pull from. I have yet to put into practice aquaculture, hydroponics, or aquaponics
    Introduction: Just another Iowan

Members

All my greens (mostly lettuce, chard, bok choy) grow in my raft system. Other veggies grow in the media beds. This year I am adding 12 double dutch buckets for Just tomatoes. The tomatoes root systems get so big, they are a pain in the media beds for me. In the greenhouse I grow greens, tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, cabbage, broccoli, strawberries, basil, dill and other culinary herbs. We use the greenhouse for fresh eating and our large garden for growing root crops and vegetables in quantities for canning.