Thread: Swirl filters

Swirl filters

I am thinking of adding a swirl filter to my system. I have researched but cannot find this question answered. Is it better to have a smaller diameter bucket or a wider bucket? The smaller would have more centrifugal force but in the wider one the solids would have to travel farther giving them more time to drop out. Any input from the wise ones here?
    At what point did our government cease to be of the people, by the people, and for the people?

Re: Swirl filters

I think the wider one, water will move slower allowing stuff to settle. A smaller diameter bucket might be like stirring lemonade with nothing settling to the bottom. Just a thought if your inlet is at the top with a 90 elbow to swirl the water, then put you outlet in the center of the lid where the cleaner water should be.

My question is, if you're filtering your FT water to your GB doesn't that reduce your nitrates that your plants need?

The swirl filter should just remove the heavy solids that gunk up a grow bed. The bacteria should not be affected.
    At what point did our government cease to be of the people, by the people, and for the people?

Quote Originally Posted by Roger L.
    I am thinking of adding a swirl filter to my system. I have researched but cannot find this question answered. Is it better to have a smaller diameter bucket or a wider bucket? The smaller would have more centrifugal force but in the wider one the solids would have to travel farther giving them more time to drop out. Any input from the wise ones here?
    We bought our filters, but I think you have to consider the flow rate, the surface area of the filter, and the desired retention time... look here: http://www.earthangroup.com.au/diy-b...-swirl-filter/
    It's all about the fish, dude.

Nice link. Thanks for sharing.
    Less irritating avatar since 02/27/14.