Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Re: Something missing on overflow pip?

If you don't want your pump in the FT you can get a portable utility pump and mount it outside of the tank.

I think you're going to find out that water being pump will flow so much faster than water just running off the top of your FT though your 5 gal filter on the way to your GB and back to you square sump.

I'm sure that there is some formula that could give you that answer. You might try just bypassing your 5 gal filter and your GB, just go from the slump to the FT than back to the sump. Once you find the right size on the water return pipe so everything works. Then plumb the rest of your system, just to be on the safe side I would use the next size large pipe (it wouldn't hurt).

If you do end up with an extra hole coming out of your FT. I would use it as an emergence overflow to the sump, it will stop your FT. from over flowing and stop your pump from running out of water.

Hey try this first, use one of your old buckets as a pretend FT. Pump water into the bucket...cut hole on side of bucket to find out what size of hole is needed to return water back to pump.

A siphon will never form unless you get the outlet of the pipe below where the inlet on the pipe is. You can not change the laws of hydraulics.
    At what point did our government cease to be of the people, by the people, and for the people?

Members

Thank you so much for all the replies. portable utility pump? That sounds good. I never knew until now. I just saw the reply after working whole day
    I modified some and somehow it started working today!
    SLO started working! I don't know why exactly.
    GB's little SLO hasn't worked as same as FT SLO until this morning.
    When I take out 't' area and unplugged pipe and put it back in 't' and put it back in GB.
    Then suddenly started working.??? Even making venturi sound.
    The GB is always stay the same height now, amazing.
    I saw a hope. Then worked on FT. I made the length of pipe from 't' to FT hole shorten. Then It started working. After I stopped pump and re-start pump, SLO stopped working, so I made another hole in the bucket at lower position.
    But I found was that (and I guess other people know about it ) after remove some of the water from sump bucket, it started working. I think not the position of the hole.
    The pump is still stronger, so I keep the return pipe from pump in sump.
    I'm not sure if this flow is not enough for FT/GB, but will see. If not enough, I will try what recommended definitely.

After I took these pictures, I changed pump position, pipes in FT. But this is about what's going on now.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Well, the hard part is over...let the fun part begin. Nice talking with you, keep everyone posted on your progress. If you ever get to Phoenix, AZ. look me up. Good Luck Rod

Members

Thank you so much. Without you guys, I'm already drop out of AP.
    Now I imagine my gorgeous fish'n salad on the table

Hi, its been a while...just wondering how's everything going?

Members

Thank you for asking how i'm doing!
    I've removed all water and dried GB/ST(sump tank)/FT.
    Then added clean water. However, I realized that I didn't have a plan to have 2nd FT (Rubbermaid) so that the space for 2nd FT is not enough and can't close the shed. It's getting cold and I want to close the shed.
    So, I removed all water again and moved existing AP system, and added water again. (It's 3rd day today for new water)
    I got 2nd FT for back up for 1st FT. But fish I'm trying to get has minimum order requirement and it's a lot. So, I need to use 2nd FT. I don't have space for GB for it, so I will try to do aquaculture. Well, I just realized that I forgot to make a hole for pipe on 2nd FT. I have remove water again...
    Also, I'm still uncomfortable using Rubbermaid for FT. I've used up Dura Skrim because I made some cut on GB when tried to make bigger hole and had to re-do GB with new Dura-skrim. I just telling myself that Rubbermaid is fine since many people using and nothing happened.

Anyway, I covered 1st FT with insulation sheet and ordered a tank heater.
    Changed to 3/4 inch pipe for GB 'in'.
    Current pH is 9.5 (GB) 9.8(FT1) 10.0 (FT2). My house's tap water is around this range. 2 days no change. Temp 15.0c.
    TDS 0.04.
    I'm wondering how to lower pH. Someone says Lime juice, some others say it is bad.

I visited an existing commercial AP for a tour 2 days ago. I learned a lot including shop name near this area that I could buy so many things at low cost.

Please do not take this the wrong way...
    If I could suggest as I would with anyone starting out in AP (or anything)
    Stop.....take a breath....maybe read (or re-read) Oliver's Aquaponics 101.
    draw out your system the way you want it and see if you have the room, material, and time to complete....
    Count the cost before starting will save future headaches
    Put all excuses aside and remember this: YOU are capable - Zig Ziglar

Members

Thank you Aloha Don for the suggestion. That's a good point. I will remember that next time.
    I also learned that I need to be flexible. I bought an AP book before starting AP and followed 'using 1/2 inch pipe throughout the system' (I didn't know about 101 at that time). When it didn't work and multiple people suggested me to use the bigger pipe instead, I changed to bigger one for some area. Although a fish supplier quoted appropriate quantity/amount, a month later, it was no longer available (I guess seasonal), I chose to add one more tank. I learned that there are so many opinions on the AP. Choosing one from many opinion is always risky, but needs to be done to go to next step even it fails... and it is not really a fail, it is just tried one way out of many ways. (yup, famous words)
    Of course, we should learn what other people already experienced/found as you suggested. Needless to say, it is most important. Thanks.
    Now I'm getting used to this somewhat analog world and enjoying it.
    For now, I'm done with the system building.
    ph on GB went down little. I bought a bottle of ammonia. Cycling without fish will be started soon.
    ...and I've appreciated everybody's comment/suggestion/encouragement I got from this forum.
    Those words/knowledge are some of my engine powers to keep doing this fun stuff.
    I will learn/experience and hope I can give some back to people coming later. (well, in the future I need to start before it )

Good job staying with it and remember to be patient during the cycling process.
    There are many ways to build successful AP systems BUT there are a few principles that MUST be followed.
    Continue to read/study and ask questions...
    Looking forward to hearing about your progress and successes!!
    Put all excuses aside and remember this: YOU are capable - Zig Ziglar