Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Members

Re: Something missing on overflow pip?

I'm so appreciated all of you guy's comments, encouragement, and everything!!!
    Thank you so much. I really got power from the comments you guys giving me. Thanks for the forum and people in forum.
    I'll work on the pipe between sump and GB tomorrow after seal uniseal area. (At this point, the flow is not enough to bring the water to GB.)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Might I suggest that you look into a larger pump with more head pressure. Not sure if there is a Harbor Freight Tools in your area but for $53 you can get a 1350 GPH submersible pump. They have a great return policy, buy it, try it, return it, if you don't like it. I got my pump there for a lot less then anywhere else...works great.

Members

I see. Actually, the pump was too strong and the FT was almost overflowed, so I turned off power until the water went down, then started again. So the flow from FT to sump is too slow. I changed part of the pipe to 1 inch, most of the part is 1/2.
    Because I'm afraid of re-do the hole in the FT, I didn't change the size of entire pipes. (I've had hard time to stop the leak from the hole in FT and GB.) I may need to re-do the hole first, I guess.

Question, what does "Fish tank water goes to bucket with SLO (I couldn't put the lid, so I stacked buckets and try to just move the water to GB." mean?

I'm newer at this than you are so what is SLO? Maybe leave your pipe from the FT to the GB alone since it doesn't leak, just add a secondary pipe. Drilling a new hole my be easier than tiring to enlarge the old one.

Members

SLO is Solid Lift Overflow.
    I'm using it in the fish tank, but it doesn't have siphon action and the flow is very slow. I don't know what's wrong with my system.
    I've experimented a lot today. I stacked 4 buckets to increase height of the pipe from sump to GB. It is not good as I expected. My Fish tank's out pipe height is almost same as GB tank. That makes things tough. My grow bed is raft. When I read about raft, many people said that remove solid before goes to raft. So, I wanted to remove solid at the sump between FT and GB.
    Finally, I cut a bucket in half and used as a table for 5 gallon bucket sump. Also, made holes in that bucket and GB.
    It worked although very slow and little water.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hello Fish, I'm sorry you're still having all these problem. It's real hard at least for me to give you the advice you seek, since I have yet to get the full picture in my mind on your set up. Lets try this, first lets start with your pump (where is it located?). You stated "Actually, the pump was too strong and the FT was almost overflowed". So your pump feeds your FT. (Y or N) Where is it pumping from? Does your water flow in this order? ( 1 ) FT, ( 2 ) Sump, ( 3 ) GB, then back to ( 1 ) FT

Members

Thanks. your pump feeds your FT. (Y) Where is it pumping from? (square sump tank) Does your water flow in this order? ( 1 ) FT, ( 2 ) sump bucket in square Sump, ( 3 ) GB, (4) square Sump (but not in the bucket) then back to ( 1 ) FT

As you can see the picture, the sump is one square tank. sump from FT is bucket in the square tank.

For now, I'm going to pump small water.

See I knew I was missing something.

If your GB overflow is higher than your FT. You are not doing a fill and drain on your GB, because you're doing a continues flow in your GB. The square sump tank in my opinion is not needed.

I think you can increase your flow by placing your pump in the FT. Pump poop water to your sealed 5 gal bucket going in on the outer edge of the lid. As poop water enters the bucket you could do a 90 elbow to make water swirl...cleaner water will exit the bucket thought the center of the lid. You can even put a drain value on the bottom outer edge of the bucket to drain off the crap without removing any part of your set up.

Water is still being pushed by your pump to your GB, have a large enough gravity return pipe back to your FT. If the return that you have is not letting it drain fast enough I would add a secondary gravity return pipe. This will give you the maximum water flow and still filter your FT water before it goes to your GB.

Fish, you do not have enough drop from this fish tank to your filter to create a siphon. The outlet location of the line must be below the inlet location to create that. I agree with Apollo that if your system is constant flow in your grow bed then put the pump in the fish tank, pump into your filter and let it gravity feed into the grow bed then return to the fish tank. That should keep a fairly constant level in the fish tank. If the pump is to high of an output then add a valve to the line going to the filter and another valve to divert excess back into the fish tank. Adjust your valves so you get the flow correct for the grow bed. The water diverted back to the fish tank will create extra oxygen for your fish, they will like that.
    At what point did our government cease to be of the people, by the people, and for the people?

Members

Umm, so the height wise, this is an order from high to low.
    FT / bucket sump / GB / square sump.
    I'm trying to avoid placing pump in FT.
    Maybe i should change the pipe to bigger one... As you mentioned earlier, making another hole is an option.