Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Members

Re: Something missing on overflow pip?

I try to use Argee Food Safe bucket. But it's so hard to place the lid on the top. The description of lid says you have to Push or hit by mallet by following he number on the lid. I hit by a hammer since I don't have a mallet. But it didn't close. I don't have enough power for it. Does anyone know about a trick to close the lid?

Dunn Edwards Paints and Home Depot has white plastic buckets for under $5, HD has white lids for under $2. The lid you're looking for have a black rubber gasket deep inside the grove. The lower strip will peel off exposing about 12 tabs, pop the tabs one at a time to pry open. Paint stores should have a tool to help remove the lids. You can push lid on by hand if you put your weight into it, 2 x 4 works well (don't be afraid to give it a good whack).

The Plumbing Department has PVC screw apart connectors, if you place them on both your inlet and outlet lines going to the lid it will make for easy removal. I would leave the lid on and just dump and rinse though these openings.

Another product that I use a lot of is "Plumbing Goop" by Amazing it come in a purple 3.7 fl oz squeeze tube. Let it cure for about 48 hours of until it no longer smells before placing it in water.

Members

Thanks for the detailed description.
    I have Home Depot white one.
    Do I need to cut the edge of lid?
    What is 2x4?

I have several same bucket and 2 lids. None of the combination doesn't work. I stood up on the lid and jumped, but nothing happen(i'm light).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bucket1.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	1.06 MB 
ID:	4198  
    Attached Images Attached Images

So I now know that you are neither a painter nor a carpenter. There is a pull tab about 3/8" on the bottom edge of the lid, look at the outer edge for the starting point. If you break loose the tab, pull and remove it...will also make it 2X easier to snap lid on bucket. And a 2 X 4 is a piece of wood two inches by four inches and is long enough to swing it like a bat (or just was a bat).

Are you using this bucket as a pre filter for the GB? FT with pump, water goes to bucket, because bucket it sealed it will then push water out the outlet up to the GB. GB is higher than FT and water will then drain back into the FT and cycle begins again.

Thoughts about buckets....
    In my opinion the 5 gallon buckets are pretty expensive in HD or other hardware stores.. (I am cheap...penny pincher...etc)
    If you go to fast food restaurants that make their own sauces, they usually have food grade buckets that they throw away. Just ask for a few at a time....
    The worst they can say is no...
    Make friends with the workers and they can hook you up...
    Put all excuses aside and remember this: YOU are capable - Zig Ziglar

I went back and reread your set up but didn't find where you were placing your pump, size or how much head pressure (height it could push water) and at how many GPH.

Members

I should've come up with the idea asking food place for the buckets. I've already bought 7 buckets and ruined 5 of them by making wrong hole, leaking hole, changed my mind hole, etc.

I was afraid that someone find that I don't know anything and don't bother making comments on my question. I'm so grateful that you guys are sooo nice.
    Since you guys found out that I don't know anything, so I confess...
    I've never done any painting/wood/fish/vegetable (In the past, I tried to grow some tomato, but never successful).
    This time, I was serious about doing aquaponics and I bought the equipment that place nail in the wood (I don't know the name of it), a circular saw, so on. I've never seen a circular saw before and no idea if it going forward or backwards, how to operate. Of course it didn't work for me. I almost returned it. But I found a u-tube video how to use it, and it worked!

The plan has been changing daily. Current plan is that Fish tank water goes to bucket with SLO (I couldn't put the lid, so I stacked buckets and try to just move the water to GB. But now I know that I need to rip off the parts of the lid, I will try that one. Thank you for teaching me. )
    GB goes to sump (I was afraid that the capacity of the sump is too small, so I got bigger tank and put bucket and media. bucket is to remove dirty stuff from FT by circular motion.) The left of the space is for media. I bought Puro-kleen filter and fish net for it.
    Pump is in there go push water to FT.

Initially, all pipe was 1/2, but I'm changing because the flow was small. SLO part is 1 in. then all others are 1/2 for now.
    Pump in sump 396 G/H. Fish tank height is 24in. from there 48+13.5in then 24in (bottom of tank). FT is 27x48x24in. Pipe is 1/2.
    SLO pipe is 1 inch then connect to 1/2 goes to sump bucket. From sump bucket to GB (not sure yet 1/2 or 3/4. I made 1/2 hole already though)
    From GB to sump/media tank - trying to change to 1 in pipe for SLO part only, then 1/2 pipe goes to media/sump tank. GB is 34x72x12.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Well...Congratulations look how far you come, how proud you must feel. LOOKING GOOD!! Soooo much work, I started my AP just about the time the temp was between 100 and 118, at one point I almost tore it all down and was going to give up. AND THEN I found this site...the dream lives on, :P it help to talk to others with the same dream.

I will try to get my site updated with more pictures and info, it's not quit cycled in yet. But it's getting there.

Fish, keep on going! We all start out knowing nothing and learn as we go. Hang in there, read and study and soon you will be helping someone with what you have learned.
    At what point did our government cease to be of the people, by the people, and for the people?

When you can take 'da pebble from my han Glasshopper, you will be an Aquaponist
    JCO
    Irish eyes are always smiling but
    • "In the eyes of the world, you are only as good as your last success"
    so never forget
    • "MAN IS ONLY LIMITED BY HIS IMAGINATION"