Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Members

Something missing on overflow pip?

I'm trying to put overflow pipe between sump tank and grow bed. (Fish tank > Sump tank > Grow bed)
    Sump tank is lower position than Grow bed.
    Initially, I tried a overflow pipe which output pipe is higher than overflow in the water. It didn't work.
    So, I tried to make basic pipe first. But it doesn't work either.
    The bottom of pipe in water is slightly higher than outside pipe. Should I change to much higher?
    or anything missing or wrong with this piping?
    Before starts experiment, should I put the water in the pipe? (I did but the same result, no syphon movement or anything. just nothing happen. I pumped water to the container where the overflow pipe located to make sure water is pushing.)
    All of the pipes are 1 inch dia.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OverflowPipe.jpg 
Views:	409 
Size:	1.45 MB 
ID:	4182  
    Attached Images Attached Images

Members

Re: Something missing on overflow pip?

Yes, it is plastic tube. I tried to find air-valve, but Home depot doesn't have. So, I thought tube might work.
    Where can I get air-valve? or how can I make one?
    Is it the reason that this setup doesn't work?

Members

You are right. it should be down hill. I wanted to make it the same level.(in and out is same level)
    But try to do basic one first, which is the water level (in) is higher than the output.
    ummm, let me think little more. (I feel that air check valve may be one thing as you pointed.)
    Thanks for your comment.

Members

The way you have it set up there the height of the bend with the airline will be will be the high point of the water. If you have to have that bend in there than you need to remove the airline and make it water tight, than fill it with water so that it siphons out. The issue I would see with it though is that you always have to make sure the water level doesn’t get too low to get air inside the line and up in that bend. If it does you would have to wait until the water level gets up to that bend and creates a siphon again.

Members

ok. The water level can't be that high with my setup (top bend height is height of the tank), so this one doesn't work for me with tight tube.
    I'll need to rethink some other way. Thanks for the comment.

Just lower the bend and make it airtight and it should work after filling with water.
    At what point did our government cease to be of the people, by the people, and for the people?

Members

I assume you are using an aquarium, or something that you can’t run a pipe through the tank?

Members

I didn't want to make a hole on sump (5 gallon bucket), so I tried to do like aquarium.
    I ruined several buckets because I messed up the holes with uniseal. So, I tried to avoid making a hole.

Because the bend is the height of the bucket, I make water intake pipe longer instead of lower the bend. It didn't work. I tried several different variation, nothing worked. I got check valve at Petsmart. Sill not work.

Now I think that I make a hole on the bucket. I still wondering why it didn't work though...

Thanks for the comments. Those comments were only my hope for the day. Especially after playing around with cold water all day. Tomorrow will be better.

Well...you both have me totally confused, so this may not work or even make any sense. If you use a 5 gal bucket with a sealed, removable lid. Put your inlet on one side of the lid and your outlet on the other side of the lid. Poop water goes in, poop falls to the bottom...clear water then goes out the other side. Water is then pushed up to your GB where gravity returns it back to FT. When bucket gets full, just pop off the lid and empty water on your yard plants.

Remember, it'll all be worth it in the end. To view pictures of my setup look under "Pipe Siphon by Apollo". Good Luck!

I HAVE NOT FAILED. I'VE JUST FOUND 10,000 WAYS THAT WON'T WORK. Thomas A Edison

Members

ha. I will try that.
    I looked at Apollo siphon. looking good. Thanks.